I Need You Now

~I keep fighting voices in my mind that say I'm not enough. Every single lie that tells me I will never measure up. Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low? Remind me once again just who I am, because I need to know~ Lauren Daigle.

Chapter Theme Song: 'You Say' by Lauren Daigle.

••

Third -Person Pov

It's been a while since Sam has seen Alaric. His muscular built, dimples, and the way his eyes tend to appear permanently dazed has never left her mind despite keeping her distance for the past few weeks.

As they sit next to each other on Alaric's bed, a small candle being the only light source, she realizes that she has never felt so alive in days. She loves him, but if Alaric is not willing to be loyal to her, she is not sure she can stay with him.

"What did you want to talk about?" She asks quietly, keeping her eyes on her five-year-old son who is snoozing against his father's pillows.

"I just want to say I am sorry," Alaric says, resting his elbows on his knees as he looks over at her. Sam still refuses to meet his eyes as if a simple exchange of eye-contact may soften her already wavering heart. "What I did was messed up...but I can assure you that I have a good reason."

She scoffs as she shakes her head, and Alaric sighs.

"What?"

"I don't know, I mean that's what you said the last time. You say you have a reason but what? Am I not good enough to know that reason?" She finally looks at him but the intensity in his eyes causes her to immediately look away.

He's way too handsome.

"That's why I want to talk to you, babe."

"Don't call me babe."

"Baby then?"

"Sam's fine." She grumbles, feeling her cheeks flaming up. God, this man has a great effect on her, and his deep yet calm voice is not aiding her case either.

"Alright, Sam." He breathes. "The only reason I've been dealing with Bethany is that...I am using her to gain information."

Sam narrows her eyes as she turns her face to meet his gaze.

Alaric brushes a thumb across his nose, sighing with skepticism. "Yeah, look, they've been some things I haven't been telling you. You remember I told you some time ago about this man called Ron Moretto?"

Sam nods. "Yeah...the man who got your uncles killed and raided your camp two years ago..."

"Yeah, good girl. Actually, I have been kind of...stealing from his drug truck." Alaric squints an eye, awaiting Sam's rebukes of disbelief.

Her eyes slightly widen. "You've been doing...what?"

"I know. His girlfriend is Bethany Finn; otherwise known as Bee, and she has been providing me with information on where the drug truck will be each week and other stuff about Ron Moretto, which is why I have been hanging around her...."

Sam blinks her eyes rapidly, attempting to process what he's saying.

"Hence why I have been acting so shady lately. I am sorry..."

She shut her eyes, raising a palm. "Hold on, so you have been—oh my God, Alaric. That is dangerous, how could you be—"

"I know, I know." Alaric shifts to face her as he reaches for her hand, and surprisingly Sam does not pull away. "It's the only way I can sufficiently take care of both you and Anthony. I should have said something sooner, but I feared what you'd say. I know how overprotective and caring you are; being a cancer zodiac and all."