Next To Me

~I want you, I'll colour me blue, anything it takes to make you stay. Only seeing myself, when I'm looking up at you~ Troye Sivan & Alex Hope.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Blue' by Troye Sivan ft. Alex Hope.

°°

Rainey

After breakfast, I assisted Ansel with clearing the table, and even though he told me that he didn't need help with the dishes, I decided to pitch a hand in any way.

We stand side by side at the kitchen's counter, both our hands buried inside the sink of soapy water. Ansel seems intently focused on scrubbing the dishes, but my mind is consumed with what happened earlier.

Ansel hugged me, and although to some it may seem like a simple gesture, it wasn't that way for me. The hug didn't feel casual. It felt surreal and heavenly, and I felt so comforted. Is it silly to wish he'd hold me that way again?

My mind is unfocused, and I blindly feel for another utensil in the bubbly water only to mistakenly grab onto Ansel's hand instead. I release it quickly, a deep red surfacing my face.

"Sorry."

He smirks, his eyes focused on the dish he's washing. "Thinking of scrubbing my hand too, Rain?"

I smile awkwardly, keeping my eyes on the white suds as I reach for something that isn't his fingers. "It was an accident..."

He titters, finally shifting his eyes to me. "You seem distracted. What are you thinking about?"

I wouldn't tell him that. I can't tell him that.

I shake my head. "Nothing..."

My face is on fire, and his curious gaze on me is making it far worse. Luckily, my cell begins ringing in my jeans, diverting his attention.

I wipe my hands on a towel then slip the phone from my back pocket. As soon as I see Mother on the caller ID, I roll my eyes. Her phone calls are never something good.

I pick the call up reluctantly, taking a deep breath before answering. "Mother?"

"Where the fuck are you?!"

I remove the cell from my eardrum as her vulgar tone bursts through the line. Ansel brings his attention to me. I am positive he must have heard her; the entire neighborhood probably did.

Returning the device to my ear, I sigh in frustration. "I'm at a friend's."

"How old do you think you are, young lady? Jeff told me you didn't even tell him where you were going. You just left the house with that little delinquent friend of yours. I need you home right now!"

I frown, shifting my weight in annoyance. "What for?"

"What for? Tonight is the Fashion-Walk Annual Banquet, and you know you must be there, child."

I should have known that the reason she called, pretending to care about my absence is that tonight is the stupid luncheon thing the fashion industry hosts every year. She wants me to attend just so she can 'save face', make everyone thinks she has this perfect family when in truth, she doesn't.