Dance With Me

~If I can have this dance tonight, I promise that you won't forget. I've been searching all my life for something that I won't regret. Could it be that you're the one I'm looking for?~RINI

Chapter Theme Song: 'Aphrodite' by RINI

°°

Rainey

Ansel and I step into the ballroom filled with people talking and laughing above low instrumental music. Everyone here is from the fashion industry, and they are all adorned in their best attire, each probably secretly hoping their dress cost way more than the others'.

Tables are surrounding the large dancefloor and waitresses are actively walking about, pouring champagne and serving appetizers while a few people are waltzing to the music on the marble-tiles.

I spot my mom laughing with two ladies at her table, and Jeff, burying his head in his phone while he disregards their conversation.

"I hate settings like these," I grumble, already feeling the urge to make a U-turn and return home. The heels are already hurting my feet, and I can see where my ankles are visibly red.

I catch sight of a group of girls at a table to our left, staring at me with faces of displeasure. I tug my dress further down my thighs, and Ansel looks at the action.

"You okay?"

"I just hate people staring at me." I frown.

"I think they are staring because you look really beautiful," he states, while he politely declines champagne from a waiter by a shake of his head.

The group of girls is now looking at Ansel while they smile among themselves. A clear look of admiration is etched on their faces, and I feel a strong pang of jealousy washes over me. Our arms are linked together, and unconsciously, I tighten my hold on his bicep causing him to shift his face to me.

"What?"

"Those girls..." I mumble. "It's just so obvious that they're thinking really bad stuff about me...not that I really care anyway..."

I do. Deep down somewhere, I do.

Ansel tracks my focus with his eyes, and when he locates them, one of the ladies wave a hand to him shyly. Without returning the gesture, he pulls his focus back to me, leaning down to my ear.

"Who cares what they think, Rain? I think you're the prettiest in this room."

I smile at him; he sure has a way with words. His eyes are sparkling under the crystal chandelier, and the lighting makes his face appears smoother than it already is. I can clearly see why the girls are staring at him so hungrily.

"Oh my God, Ansel?"

We drag our gazes in the direction of the voice, and to my utter discomfort, Lea—Ansel's ex— is approaching us. What is she doing here?

She's dressed in a beige dress that is sweeping the floor as she walks, her matching color heels peeking out beneath the lace fabric at each step she takes. Her hair is neatly braided in a crown, and her makeup is mild, almost non-existent. Now that I am seeing her in a bright room, she has a baby-face and big green eyes.