Chapter 6

TW: Blood, Cursing, Violence, Knives, Mentions of Burns, Mentions of dissociation.

"Watch it!" Someone shouted as Virgil fell to the floor in a small pile of his own limbs. He blinked back the tears before looking around, where was he? Virgil could see a street sign hanging above his head and he stared it, confused. Henderson Avenue? But, that was all the way across town. How long had he been running? 

"Hey, my friend is talking to you," A voice said. Virgil looked up, he had almost forgotten why he had been stopped, that he had crashed into someone.. He opened his mouth to apologize, but nothing came out except a broken sob. He couldn't speak.

"Aren't you going to say sorry?" the first person said, the one he had hit, "You bumped into me, you spilled my drinl on my shirt!" They sounded angry... and dangerous.

Virgil tried to speak again but was still unable to find the words, his throat hurt, begging for water. "Hey wait! I know you!" the second man shouted "you're that emo freak, Vincent, or something stupid like that. We were in chemistry together, you nearly blew up the whole lab."

Virgil remembered that day, technically the girl next to him had nearly blown up the lab. She had freaked out when Virgil accidentally started using his powers. He was lucky nobody found out about him actually, that could've turned a bad day worse. "Aren't you going to say something? You owe me a new shirt!" The first guy yelled at him, suddenly pulling Virgil up by his hoodie. 

"I don't have any money," Virgil was eventually able to mutter out, his throat burning as he spoke, trying to get out of the grip that held him

"Have you been crying? Your stupid makeup is all smeared. Ew" The second boy said.

"If you're not gonna buy me a new shirt, and you're not gonna say sorry then you can just pay in other ways. Freak." The first boy said before he threw Virgil on the ground and kicked him. Virgil scrambled to his feet, having been taught better than to stay on the ground. It didn't end up mattering, it still hurt when one of them punched him in the jaw.

Virgil cried out in pain as he reached to protect his face. The second boy joined in, suddenly punching Virgil in the stomach causing him to fall to his knees, he could feel his stomach turning inside out. Bile and stomach acid threatening to rise but he pushed it down. That would only make them even more mad. His old classmates continued to kick and punch him, laughing at him. He was too tired to try and fight them, exhaustion was pulling at him, if he tried to fight back he'd lose in an instant and would only get himself more hurt. If he wasn't in the condition he was, out of breath and exhausted to no end, then he was sure it wouldn't have been a problem. But he was tired, and it would be a problem, so he didn't even bother to try. 

He suddenly remembered them, these assholes hadn't changed at all since they graduated. They used to beat kids up back then too. "Give me that," One of the boys said, he had lost track of who was speaking. Virgil heard a small pop and the one who spoke threw something at Virgil. 

His eyes widened as he cried out in pain at the discovery of what liquid had been thrown on him. Hot coffee. Boiling hot coffee, now stained his hoodie and shirt, running down his bruising skin and leaving it red and burned. "Fuck you" he managed to say, his voice still burning as they continued to attack him. The words had only made them angrier though. 

Virgil could feel blood pouring down his nose, his jaw was beginning to swell and he was pretty sure that he now had a cut around his eyebrow. He managed to stop himself from saying anything else, curling into a ball the best he could and deciding on waiting till they finished so he could just pass out already.

*****

Roman, Logan, and Patton had not realized that the Deceit in front of them was fake until the fireball Roman had thrown at it flew straight through him and right towards Logan. The instant panic at watching part of Logan's costume go up in flames was enough to snuff out the flames, he hadn't even needed to lift a finger. But Logan's costume had still burned, and Logan's skin was an awful red in injury. Roman turned back towards the other boy, towards Shadow Master, but he was gone.