Chapter 28

TW: Death, Anxiety Attack

Eleven years ago

Virgil kicked his legs back and forth on the seat as he waited for his parents. The ride to school from his house took twenty minutes. They lived in a foresty town, and the roads were very windy and curvy, so his parents were always very careful while driving, especially in the rain. So when twenty minutes turned to thirty, and thirty turned to forty, Virgil didn't think much of it. It wasn't until an hour passed did he become worried.

An hour and a half after Virgil had called his parents the school counselor and the principal came into the room and called Virgil into the principles office. "Am I in trouble?" He asked them nervously as he sat in the overstuffed seat.

"No Virgil, you're not in trouble," The counselor said

"I didn't mean to lie about being sick. I just wanted to see the rain with my mom and drink cocoa with my dad" Virgil explained.

The counselor took a long deep breath as tears appeared in her eyes. The principle got off his seat and came around the desk, he kneeled in front of Virgil. "Virgil, what I'm about to say is going to be very hard to hear. But I promise you, that no matter what happens, everything is going to be okay. Okay?"

"What's wrong?" Virgil asked, fear filling the small boy quickly.

"Virgil, your parents were in an accident," The principle said slowly.

Virgil was silent for a long time, "Are they okay?"

The counselor shook her head, "No Hunny, your mommy, and daddy are really hurt"

"Where are they?" He asked. There was no answer, "Where are my mom and dad?" The counselor and the principle remained silent, "I want my mom and dad! I want to see them!" Virgil said, he hopped off the seat and jumped to his feet as tears filled his eyes. "Let me see my parents! Let me see them!" The principle picked Virgil up and put him back on the seat when Virgil began to try and get to the door.

"Virgil, we need you to understand that your mom and dad were really badly hurt." The principal said, "Your dad- your dad died Virgil."

Virgil shook his head, "No. No, my dad's super strong, he's not dead. He's- he's invincible, mommy said it herself. He's her superhero!"

The counselor nodded, "Yes Virgil, your daddy is super strong. But he was in so much pain, and he couldn't hold on. He's gone Virgil" Virgil shook his head over and over as the counselor continued, "But your mom, your mom is still alive Virgil. She's hurt really bad but she's still alive"

"And- and the baby?" Virgil asked them, "is my sister going to be okay?"

The counselor shook her head, "We don't know yet Hunny."

"Can I see her? I want to see her." Virgil said

They nodded slowly, and the counselor drove him to the hospital. The whole trip was spent with the counselor reassuring him that everything would be okay and that he needed to be strong. Warning him that his mother wasn't going to look like she did this morning and that she may not even be awake when Virgil visited her. But Virgil didn't say anything and stayed silent during the whole trip. 

When Virgil and the counselor walked into the hospital he was his with the strong smell of hand sanitizer and lemon-scented air freshener. The counselor held his hand as they came in, quickly checking them in and leading the still silent Virgil down the clean white hallways. The fluorescent lights hitting the bright walls and tiles hurt his eyes. It was cold in the hallway, and as they came closer and closer to the room it became deadly quiet. The counselor stopped in front of a door leading into a lobby like room with five people yelling at each other.