Chapter 72

TW: Anxiety, Mentions of Kidnapping, Mentions of Death

Day One-Hundred and Fifty-Seven | Saturday | August 13th

"Roman?" Virgil asked when he woke up, his voice shaking as the name left his mouth.

"I'm here Virgil" Roman said he reached out, then stopped, "Can I touch you now?"

Virgil nodded, "Please," Roman put a hand onto Virgil's head, brushing back his hair. Virgil flinched at the touch but pushed back into it. Virgil put his hand over Roman's chest, his mouth moving up and down as he counted Roman's heartbeat.

"Virgil!" Patton yelled excitedly before throwing his arms around him, "How ya feeling Kiddo?"

Virgil's grip on Roman's shirt tightened and he closed his eyes, "N-not so go-good" he admitted.

"Patton, perhaps let's wait for Virgil to have calmed down some more before we hug him," Logan said as he made an appearance in front of them.

"Oh, right, sorry Kiddo, I was just so worried about you," Patton said as he pulled away from him.

"Th-that's okay Patton," Virgil said as he opened his eyes again. Roman smiled at him before slowly reaching out and helping to move Virgil into a sitting position. Roman pulled his hand away from Virgil and moved to stand but before he could walk away Virgil grabbed him and pulled him down next to him. Roman looked over at him, slightly surprised as Virgil's breath shook, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm just-" he stopped and buried his head into his shoulder. He flinched when he felt Roman take his hand but didn't pull away.

"You're okay Stormcloud," Roman told him gently.

Logan held a mug out towards Virgil, "It's tea," Logan told him as Virgil slowly took the warm mug, "It should help to calm your anxiety"

"And I made more cookies!" Patton said as he bounced off to go put the cookies onto a plate for everyone else.

"I don't wanna eat right now" he mumbled before dropping his head onto Roman's shoulder again. Roman wrapped his arm around him so they were closer. He had to admit, that he was feeling slightly guilty and very protective about Virgil right now. Now that he had permission from him, Roman never wanted to let go of Virgil again. He just wanted to keep him safe and protected and make sure nothing bad ever happened to him, but he had been doing a pretty poor job at that, hadn't he?

Patton put the plate down before taking a seat in the armchair, Logan remained standing, even though there was plenty of room on the couch for either of them. They seemed to understand even without Virgil saying anything that right now only Roman was allowed to touch him."That's okay Kiddo, you've had a pretty crumby day"

Virgil smiled, just slightly, nobody knew how but Patton's jokes could always him smile and laugh, even in his most anxious time. Still, right now they all greatly appreciated it. Virgil looked up, his eyes landing on the coffee table. He made himself smaller at the sight of a folded paper, with unmistakable handwriting. "You read the letter" Virgil muttered, he sunk deeper into Roman's arms. For a moment he was scared that Deceit was right, that Roman was just using him or that Roman didn't actually care about him, but he pushed those thoughts away as best he could.

"We did," Logan replied, "Was this why you were in so much distress?"

Virgil nodded, "I'm- I'm sorry for hurting you guys. I-I was just so-so scared. I-I don't want to to go back but I don't w-want them to hurt you and I-I-I-"

Roman turned to him and took Virgil's hand and placed it on his chest again, "Can you count the beats for me Stormcloud? Count the beats for me okay?" Roman said, his voice gentle as Virgil nodded and did his best to count, "You're okay, you're okay." This continued for a while but finally, Virgil nodded and moved his hand away again. Roman looked back at the others and they looked at him, he took a deep breath and turned back at Virgil, "Okay, first things first. We don't have to talk about the letter right now. We have to talk about it eventually, as in sometime this weekend, but not right now okay Stormcloud?"