Chapter 31

TW: Talks about cancer (Just twice but it will be mentioned later)

Day Forty-Three | Friday | April 21st

"Patton!" Melanie yelled, "Harry's in the hospital."

Patton froze, "And what am I supposed to do about that?" Patton said, his eyes staring just past Melanie as if she wasn't even there. It wasn't like him to act this way, and everyone knew it.

"Harry isn't letting Mom or Dad talk to him until he talks to you and he made you his proxy"

"How am I his proxy?"

"He forged your signature. Patton, we really need to talk about this. I know that you don't get along with mom and dad, and I know Harry and I have made some mistakes but please, just talk to him over the phone or something" Melanie said, tears appearing in the girl's eyes, "Our brother is in the hospital right now. Can't you just... help?"

"I'm not talking to mom."

"I never said you needed to talk to mom. I just need you to talk to me. Can you do that? That one thing?"

There was silence for a long time, Logan, Roman, and Melanie waited with anticipation while they waited for an answer, "Fine, come in," Patton said.

Suddenly Roman grabbed Virgil by the arm and pulled him towards the door, "Virgil, let's go for a walk." he said as Virgil tried to catch himself from falling. Melanie walked past them and into the apartment while Roman continued to pull Virgil outside, grabbing a bag off the floor as he left. The door closed behind them and Roman let out a deep breath then glanced at a very confused Virgil, "Come on, change of plans"

"Where are we going?" Virgil asked

"I'm taking you to my play rehearsal. We'll be a little early but that's okay." Roman said as he led the way downstairs, "Just, don't talk much okay?" Virgil nodded, not talking to strangers? That was fine with him. He probably wouldn't have said anything anyway.

"Is Patton going to be okay?" Virgil asked

"He'll be fine" Roman answered, "Why do you think we left Logan behind?" Roman pulled his keys out of his pocket as he walked to the car, and motioned for Virgil to get in.

*****

There was a silence in the apartment as Melanie stood in the doorway awkwardly. Patton sighed, "Why don't you sit down Mel?" He asked. Melanie nodded silently before sitting down, Patton went to the kitchen and came back a moment later with a few glasses of water, "Mel, you remember Logan right?" Patton asked, Melanie, nodded again and Logan returned it as he took a seat next to Patton. There was more silence, "So... what have you been doing for the last year?"

"Patton I'm not here to socialize and catch up. I know you want me out of here so can we just get to the point?"

"I haven't spoken to you in more than a year. I really don't want to start our first conversation with 'why is our older brother in the hospital and why didn't mom just tell me that the first ten times she saw me?'" Patton said angrily.

"Than how would you like to start this conversation Patton? Should I pull out the photo album? It's not my fault you ran away from home."

"I didn't run away-" Patton stopped, "Never mind... this isn't like us" He looked at Logan, "Would you mind letting Mel and I talk in private Logan? I know you mean well but I just..."

"I understand Patton." Logan said standing up slowly, " I will be in my room if you need anything"

"Thanks, Lo, you're a really good friend" Patton smiled slightly, Logan returned it before turning towards his room. Patton watched him leave, still smiling.