Chapter 68

TW: Homophobia, Religion, Mentions of Roman's past. (Because of recent events I will be publishing a summary of the chapter at the very bottom in bold. Stay safe everyone)

I forgot to do my last edits so if there's issues please tell me.

Six Years Ago:

"Patton," Meredith said after the waiters had set down the food and the family prepared to eat, "Would you like to say grace?"

Patton nodded, he knew he couldn't say no, and the family bowed their heads."Bless this food to our bodies, Lord, and let us hold you in our hearts. In Jesus name, we pray, Amen"

"Amen," the rest of the family chorused before they began to eat.

Patton was quiet as he ate but the rest of the family was as lively as ever. Harry was talking about how he scored a touchdown at the last game and Melanie was rolling her eyes and making comments like 'We know we were all there'. Their parents laughed at the story and how Harry told it. But Patton didn't pay much attention to it.

A boy had asked him out today. Like on a date. And even though Patton knew he liked the boy because he was cute and kinda funny, he had been nervous and he messed it up. The words had left his mouth before he could stop them and suddenly he found himself saying 'that's a sin'. He remembered how the boy's face went white and how Patton became red with embarrassment and how he had desperately tried to apologize before Patton ended up sprinting away and spending the rest of his lunch in his science classroom with the class hamster.

Patton hated himself for it too. How could he have said that! The boy was amazing, Patton had had a crush on him for three months now, for three months it had been his dream for Keith to ask him out, and Patton had ruined it. Keith had even known it was his birthday and had given Patton a stuffed duck before asking him. He said he remembered Patton making a bunch of duck jokes and assumed Patton like them. "Patton, is something wrong?" his dad asked him.

"Uhm, no," Patton said, "Just... someone asked me out on a date and I messed it up"

Meredith gasped and smiled, "What was the pretty girl's name? Does she go to our church? I have to meet her mother and-"

"Mom she asked him on a date, not to marry him," Harrison said as he leaned back in his seat, "Good job Patton"

Patton gave a weak smile, not daring to correct them by saying that she was a he. They'd get mad if he did, even though his parents didn't often bring up LGBTQ+ he knew they were against them. They had drilled it into their brains since they were little that the LGBTQ+ community was against god, and if you were a part of it you would go to hell. It didn't help that their church just reinforced this idea. Their parents had made sure of that.

"Didn't you hear him? He said he messed it up." Melanie said.

"Well that not an issue, if she liked him before she can like him again. Patton, what's her favorite color? We can get her some flowers"

"Magenta" Patton replied. His family went on talking about how they were sure Patton could win her back and how they were sure Patton would make an amazing boyfriend and how Patton should ask her to the upcoming school dance and Patton just nodded, making sure to avoid saying she as much as possible while they continued to talk.

When dinner was over his family passed gifts to him over the table. He smiled thankfully at the envelopes his grandma had sent him, reading it out loud before making a mental note to write her a thank you card. Harrison and Melanie passed him an oddly shaped package and Patton unwrapped it. "I paid for it and Melanie chose it," Harrison said