Chapter 22

TW: Abuse, PTSD, Panic Attack, Curse words

Present Day:

Day Twenty-Eight | Thursday | April 6th

The room was silent as Roman, Logan, and Patton told the story of how they met and became friends. They let Roman do most of the talking since it was his story. They didn't say anything without Roman's permission if he ever stopped talking Logan or Patton would look to Roman for permission to let them continue. When it was over it was as if the whole room had gone still as they waited to see what Virgil was going to say. "You're very brave Roman, you know that?"

Roman gave a small smile and nodded, "Thank you, Virgil. It wasn't easy to do, I'm just lucky Logan and Patton saw something and helped. Not everyone would"

Patton shook his head, "That's not true Roman, you would"

"Patton I'm not everyone," Roman said, still smiling as he looked at his friend, "But, actually, being with Ethan made me want to help people who were in danger like I was. We all have our stories, you probably have one too. I told mine because I felt comfortable doing so, you guys probably don't feel the same way right now and that's fine"

Virgil shook his head "My 'story' isn't like yours. It's completely my fault and-"

Roman placed a hand on Virgil's shoulder, he flinched, "You don't have to tell us yet Virgil. And whatever happened for you to meet Deceit, and for you to become afraid of him, that can't be your fault." Roman stood up, putting his phone away in his pocket "I should go, my co-workers invited me out to a team dinner and I don't want to be late. I'll see you all later" Roman said before grabbing his jacket and the keys off the hook and leaving.

"He's really understanding" Virgil commented

Logan and Patton nodded, "It wasn't easy for him to tell you that." Logan said "What Ethan did really hurt him, it went on for a long time and it wasn't just physical abuse, it was verbal and mental. It changed him, according to his family, he was never the same again. It took a long time for Roman to recover, and for him to become the person you know now."  Virgil nodded as Logan spoke,

"And Roman is right. Logan and I also have our pasts that have hurt us. You don't have to share yours, we understand if you don't want to." Patton added,

"uh, thanks," Virgil said, "I don't feel comfortable just yet, but maybe soon. Sorry"

"That's alright, there's still time. I'm going to get dinner started" Patton said as he left the table. Logan turned back to Virgil, then asked him the question that he had been about to answer before Roman had come out of his room. Virgil took a deep breath, happy for the conversation about difficult pasts to be over.

Day Thirty | Saturday | April 8th

It was late, well technically it was early. But it was a Saturday and he didn't have plans. Roman had been walking down the empty city streets since the sun had set. Maybe he shouldn't have told Virgil about Ethan. Ever since he did Roman couldn't stop thinking about it. It was all he thought about and it was awful. Why couldn't his brain just give him peace? Hadn't he already dealt with this enough?

Roman knew that he was safe now. Ethan had gone to jail for hurting him. Besides, even if he had gotten out, they had moved cities, and Roman still has the restraining order on him. Ethan wasn't coming. And even if he did, he's stronger now, and Logan and Patton would still help him. He's safe. He's fine. He's- "Get in the car Wendy!" A man's voice shouted. Roman stared at the couple across the street from him.

"Warren-" the lady began

"Get in the fucking car!" The man, Warren, grabbed Wendy by her arm and tried to push her into the vehicle. Roman froze in place as he watched, his heart felt like it was about to explode. He should help. But why couldn't he move? He wanted to move. Why wasn't he moving? Wendy could be heard crying as Warren tried to convince her that he hurt her because he loved her.