Chapter 30

Day Thirty-Nine | Monday | April 17th

When Virgil awoke Patton was the only one still asleep. Roman was in the kitchen, reading over a piece of paper as he munched on a piece of toast and Logan had just returned from remaking his bed. Virgil sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes slowly, "Good morning Virgil" Logan said as he came back into the room and noticed Virgil awake.

Roman looked up from his paper and wiped the crumbs away from his face, "Hey Virgil, I didn't notice you woke up. You feeling okay?" Virgil shrugged, "We're sorry we made you tell us about Tevi, but we didn't know how to help us if you didn't"

Virgil stood up and slowly made his way towards Roman and Logan, "It's okay, I understand."

"There are, unfortunately, some things that we can't ignore." Logan began, "If this hadn't caused such a large anxiety attack, then perhaps you wouldn't have had to tell us. However, this one was large, and it caused us to worry, we believed that if you told us we would be of better help than if you didn't"

Virgil nodded, "I get it. You were right" Virgil paused, "I haven't told anybody about Tevi in years, you guys are some of the only people that know. And it did help, to tell someone, so thanks I guess"

"But Deceit and Remus know?" Roman asked

"I lived with Remus and Deceit for years, they know everything about me." Virgil said, "Besides, it's not exactly easy keeping secrets from a telepath if they ever doubted something I said or didn't say, they would just read my mind."

"Well, we appreciate you telling us the truth yourself," Logan said, "It couldn't have been easy." Logan's phone beeped and he sighed, "Roman we should get going soon. Don't forget I need the car so I can get to Izzy's math lesson"

Roman shook his head, "What? Logan, I told you a week ago I have an audition at the local theatre today. I can't miss it, I need the car."

 "I'm sorry Roman but Izzy has her state testing this week," Logan said as he double-checked his phone

"Izzy is five, I'm sure Harvard isn't going to make a huge deal about a state test," Roman argued, "This audition is important"

"So is Izzy's test. We're beginning to make a breakthrough with subtraction, missing even a week could mess that all up"

Roman sighed "And this audition-"

"Is this the theatre on Hargrove?" Virgil asked Roman nodded slowly, "If you catch the twenty-four at the park we were at, it'll get you there in twenty minutes."

"I work nowhere near the park. I work on Sinclair, I wouldn't get there on time" Roman said shaking his head

"Than you'd take the ten," Virgil said, closing his eyes as he thought about the bus routes, "And to get back here you'd take the elven."

"You're really familiar with the bus routes" Roman commented

Virgil shrugged, "I never learned how to drive so I took the bus everywhere."

"Why didn't you learn to drive? Didn't they offer driver education in your highschool?" Logan asked

Virgil nodded, "They did but Deceit was the one who didn't want me driving. He scared me into not wanting to learn and kept bringing up my parents. So I didn't learn." Roman and Logan looked at him with concern and sympathy, "It wasn't a big deal. Riding the bus has a lot of advantages, I get exercise by walking to the stops, I help reduce carbon emissions, contribute to paying the city, and I can play games on my phone... Don't put too much thought into it, the point is you have a way to your audition now."