Chapter 7

Day One | Thursday | March 10th

Virgil groaned as he felt something dig into his side. He pulled his key chain out of his pocket and cursed the makers of the stupid Jack Skellingotn toy for making it so painful. He turned over in the bed, about to place the key on his nightstand when he came to a very big realization.

This wasn't his room.

Virgil quickly sat up, grabbing at his head when the room, which was not his, began to spin. He looked around the room, there were posters of dogs and cats everywhere in the room. The number was only beet by the crazy amount of Disney memorabilia. In one corner of the room, several boxes had been stacked up, in thick black letters the words BOOKS had been written across the brown cardboard. He could hear quiet talking and muffled whispering coming from somewhere else in the house

This wasn't his house.

He looked out the window next to the bed, trying to spot something familiar, only to be met with a three-story drop to the pavement below.

This wasn't his neighborhood.

Virgil fell out of the bed landing on the floor with a thump.

The whispering stopped, Virgil gasped as he looked around the room again. Searching for something to hide behind or something, but instead caught the sight of his reflection in a mirror he hadn't noticed before. He was no longer wearing his regular make-up, it was gone. As was his hoodie and T-shirt, the shirt he wore now was a bright red that was definitely not his.

'What the hell happened last night?' He asked himself as he scrambled to his feet, and off the floor. Virgil looked around the room for anything that might be familiar. Something that could maybe point him in the right direction. He grabbed at his phone, which had been placed on a very crowded desk next to the boxes of books. It buzzed in his hands, telling him instantly that he had messages. He unlocked the phone, quickly swiping in his password as he read the three messages he had.

Remus: Virgil, you okay?

Remus: Dee didn't mean any of that. You know how he is.

Deceit: Where are you?!

Virgil froze.

Right.

The fight. The yelling. The panic attack. He had run away. He had bumped into two guys who beat him up. And the last thing he remembered, the three superheroes slowly walking up to him as one of them realized who he was.

He needed to get out of here.

Virgil found his shoes lying by the foot of the bed. He stuffed them on quickly before grabbing his backpack that hung from the doorknob. Virgil stopped before opening the door, taking a deep breath before pulling it open slowly. The door creaked, and Virgil flinched before he stuck his head out the door. He looked down the hall but saw no signs of anybody else being in the house. He quickly made his way down the hall but suddenly somebody stepped in his way, "Good morning sleeping beauty" the person said. Virgil froze for a second then turned to go down the other way but there were already two others standing in his way. The first man suddenly pushed Virgil against the wall.

Virgil gasped as the man pressed on what had to be a bruise, "You can't keep me here. This is kidnapping!" he said to the three young men, suddenly much more scared than he had been a while ago

"You're right, we can't keep you here. Not unless we have a valid reason too" The first man said.

"No, Roman. That would still be illegal" the one in a tie said, pushing up his glasses as he sighed. Roman, this guy's name was Roman? That's kind of a stupid name. "You are Shadow Master correct?" the one in the tie asked Virgil.