Chapter 71

TW: Anxiety, Unitentinal Harming of Others, Deceit, Remus, Evil Remy, Passing Out, Mentions of Prison, Mentions of Murder, Threatening to Hurt Others, Mentions Of Paranoia, Blood, Screaming, Intense Fear, Mentions of Kidnapping, Unhealthy Grounding Techniques.

Extra Long Chapter

Day One-Hundred and Fifty-Seven | Saturday | August 13th

Virgil was alone in the apartment again. The others were all out trying to stop Deceit and Sleep, who had for some reason joined today's attack. They didn't know why Remy was helping, Virgil told them it was odd, but none of that mattered. They knew more about Sleep and his way of fighting so they had told Virgil to stay in the apartment, if the situation where Virgil did need to help arose than Virgil had been given permission to do so, as long as he was safe. Logan had found the mask they had taken away from him oh so long ago and given it to him. They figured that if things got that severe than the mask wouldn't just hide his identity but it would be able to make the pubic see that Shadow Master was a villain no more.

Still, for now, Virgil remained in the apartment. He tried to distract himself by listening to music, it wasn't really working, it never did. He was worried about the others, Deceit and Remy were really good with their powers. What if Deceit got them? What if they got hurt?  What if Patton got hurt and then one of the others got hurt but Patton couldn't heal them because he got hurt? What if-

Slam!

Virgil jumped as the door to the room he had been sleeping in slammed shut. It had to have been the wind right? Right? No, no Virgil had closed the window because Roman had turned on the AC. So it couldn't have been the wind. "Hello?" he asked the empty hallway as he slowly stood up, "Guys?" he got no response and he slowly made his way down the hall, dragging the shadows over from behind him. He slowly opened the door.

Nothing.

The room was empty.

He took a step inside, not letting go of the shadows as he looked around. Everything seemed to be in order, except, Virgil's sketchbook was on the bed and he could have sworn that he had put it away in his backpack the night before. He looked around the room and spotted his open window. That was odd, maybe he hadn't closed it like he thought he had? Yes, that must be it. He was just being paranoid. He had left the window open and the wind had slammed the door shut, and he must have left the book on the bed and not in his bag. Yes. That was it, just a few things that had slipped from his mind. Nothing big. Nothing major. Just his anxiety getting in the way of his rational thinking. Just him being paranoid.

He took a breath of relief before picking up his sketchbook off the bed, maybe drawing something would calm him down. He looked around for his pencils, he always kept his book and his pencils right next to each other so they wouldn't get lost but he couldn't find them. He glanced at his backpack before digging through it. A moment later he pulled out the battered tin case that held his pencils, he had never opened the ones Roman had given him. He bit his lip.

No. No. He was being paranoid. He must have just left the pencils in bag. It wasn't a big deal. But... but he always kept them next to each other.

Well, this time he hadn't. 

He sighed. He was okay, he reminded himself. He was fine. He was just being para-paranoid. He took his sketchbook and the pencils again before trying to make his way out of the room, however, before he could leave several papers fell out from inside his sketchbook. For a moment he got scared that the binding had broken or that the papers had been torn out but then he realized that the papers that had fallen out weren't from his sketchbook. He bent over and picked them up. There were six papers.