Chapter 46

Spoiler Warning to Putting Others First Selfishness Vs Selflessness (2) 

TW: Talks about Death, Fire, Mentions of Arson.

Day Seventy | Wednesday | May 19th

Patton and Logan returned a little more than twenty minutes later. Logan seemed mostly unharmed, though he did have a cut along his eye-brow where his glasses had been pushed into his face. Roman got up, walking straight towards Logan with his finger pointed at the others chest as he said, "You're an idiot."

Logan glanced down at the finger before walking past Roman to get a glass of water. He knew Roman was not angry, just concerned, "I'm glad you're safe too Roman." he replied flatly.

"What did you do to Remus?" Patton asked, unlike Virgil or Roman, he had seen the damage that Remus had taken during the battle.

"I did nothing to Remus, part of a building collapsed and fell on him." Logan explained as he finished his water, "Deceit pulled him out and they quickly retreated."

"He must have teleported wrong, and landed on the roof instead of in the house," Virgil said, it was not the first time Remus had miscalculated where they were supposed to land.

Logan nodded before looking at the box that Roman had placed on the coffee table, "Did you find it?"

Roman shook his head, "We're hoping it's in the box. We were waiting for you two" Roman said as he took a seat in front of the box. Virgil was already sitting there, he had recovered from the anxiety attack he had had quickly thanks to Roman. Despite that, Virgil still went through his breathing exercises. 

"What's in here?" Patton asked as he and Logan took a seat.

Virgil shrugged, "Just a bunch of stuff I didn't want to get rid of." he answered. 

Logan nodded and the box was opened, for a moment nobody moved. Finally, Patton bent forward and picked up a scuffed and torn sketchbook, not nearly as durable as Virgil's current one. This one had a cardboard cover that had been stained with what looked like coffee. Patton flipped open the sketchbook, everyone was watching him as he did, "These are cool." Patton said as he kept flipping through the pages before putting down the sketchbook.

After that everyone began moving forward and picking up whatever old stuff Virgil had thrown in there. Logan set aside a stuffed bunny as Roman picked up a small bag of jewelry. Patton smiled at an old dream catcher, and Virgil looked down hesitantly at a tin case filled with drawing pencils. Once again, the material was not as nice as the ones he currently had. 

"Who are these from?" Logan asked as he gently waved a package of letters that were held together with a rubber band.

Virgil shrugged, "My aunts and uncles probably. We don't talk a lot but a couple times a year they send me letters and gifts." Virgil gestured to the sketchbook beside Patton, "They're responsible for most of my art gear"

"Do you write back?" Logan asked

Virgil nodded as he picked up a paperback book filled with notes and highlights, "Yeah, but one or two letters back and forth is about all we get." He looked up as he spotted Logan continuing to look at him, Patton and Roman were listening but still searching through the box, "I haven't seen them in years, Logan, we're not exactly going to be close."

"Have you ever made an effort to contact them further?" Logan placed the letters down next to the bunny.

Virgil shrugged, "A few times. But like I said before, Deceit and Remus didn't like me having too many connections" Virgil didn't mention that he had only tried to make a relationship with them three times. That the first time was because of one of those family tree projects schools made you do and the other two were because he wanted to know them again. That the second time he had become almost heartbroken when he realized the obvious truth and learned that his aunts and uncles didn't stop living their lives or trying to make their own families once his had died. And he didn't mention how the third and last time he had tried to make contact he had gotten caught by Remus and Deceit, and how they hadn't been happy about what he was trying to do.