Chapter 62

TW: Nightmares, Anxiety, Death, Unintentionally Harming Others, Crying.

Day One-Hundred and Thirty-Eight | Monday | July 25th

Virgil yawned as he got ready for bed, he was tired. He and Patton had spent the day making decorations for Roman's surprise party tomorrow. It didn't help that Logan had asked him to demonstrate his powers, even going as far as dragging him to the roof so he could do some bigger and not so safe things. Roman had come with them in case they needed a force field, but even that hadn't stopped the occasional shadow from slipping through his grasp and trying to attack. Luckily they had mostly targeted him, and the one time a shadow did go after one of the others he had stopped just in time before throwing several demands into the shadow and roughly making it return to the form it was supposed to be taking.

Another thing that didn't help was that Deceit, Remus, and even Remy had been texting him non-stop recently. It had put a strain on Logan's power and he ended up having to drop the technopathic link he usually maintained on Virgil's phone before going to bed early. Virgil had been quick to do the same and had left Roman and Patton to finish the board game they had bee playing by themselves. 

He hummed quietly as the ends of the song Welcome to The Black Parade played before he carefully turned the music off and he took off the headset. He was about to put his phone down on the table when it buzzed in his hands. He was too tired to remember to ignore it and looked down at it lazily.

Deceit: Today would have been Daniel Erickson's Twenty-Third birthday if you hadn't done what you did

Virgil froze for a second then he turned towards the door to go tell Roman and Patton about the messages but another message came through before he could.

Deceit: Don't tell your new friends. They'd just ask questions. Do you really want to answer them? Would they look at you the same way if you told them? I don't think so. 

Deceit: Daniel Erickson is dead because of you.

Deceit: Now that we've reminded you of that fact, you have two options; delete these messages and don't tell them, or show them to your new friends and watch as they turn on you and as we find you and make sure the information you give them never leaves their lips.

Virgil just stared at his phone for a moment before he carefully deleted the messages he had been sent. It wasn't his fault, it was their fault, he just needed to remind himself of that. He was only deleting the messages because if he showed them to the others than he'd be putting them at risk. That's why he was doing it. That's why he was doing it. That's why he was doing it. 

Virgil sighed as he put the phone face down and climbed into the bed. He was staring at the wall, silently thinking, when the yellow dust came through the open window. He didn't notice. He didn't notice, not until it was suddenly the only thing he could see, the only thing he could breathe in. A second later, Virgil was thrown into a violent nightmare.

*

Daniel Erickson. He was the son of a retired superhero named Manic and was being trained to become the next savior of the city. His best friends, Henry Nift and Jackson Morgan, were also getting trained, and although Jackson hadn't had any superpowers his loyalty had proved super enough. The three were about to become Deceit and the Dukes latest problem. Now, how Deceit ever came to learn this was a mystery to him but it didn't matter. As soon as the knowledge had bubbled to the surface Deceit knew it was time for Virgil to make his first appearance.

You already know what happened that night. Virgil approached the three boys before using his powers against them and knocking the three boy's out. What you don't know is what happened afterward.