Chapter 80

TW: Refusing to Eat, Damage to Personal Property, Mentions of Fire, Abuse, Deceit, Remus, Anxiety

Day Five | Tuesday | August 23rd

Remus frowned as he approached Virgil's door, carefully taking his key and taking off the lock they had attached. It clicked loudly as it came off, Remus opened the door, putting the lock in his pocket before entering the room. Virgil wasn't on his bed, and from where he stood the room looked empty. But Remus could hear the shaky breathing of the younger, he followed the sound and found Virgil asleep. His body was curled up and hidden behind the dresser, his head leaning against the wood as he struggled in his sleep. Remus sighed, 'What the hell did you show him Dee?' He thought to himself before reaching to touch Virgil. Almost instantly Virgil's eyes shot open, they landed on Remus and the fear already so clear on his face increased tenfold.

"N-no!" He yelled loudly, "Stay-stay away! Please! I'm-I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please! I'm sorry"

Remus narrowed his eyes, lowering himself closer to the ground and to Virgil, "I'm not gonna hurt you, calm down"

Virgil shook his head, his hand slapping at Remus when he got to close, "Y-yes you are! Pl-please! I'm sorry for try-trying to take the key. I-I won't do-do it again. I'm s-sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry"

Remus grabbed Virgil by the wrist, restraining him and pushed him against the wall. "Stop screaming!" he yelled loudly. Virgil immediately did as he was told. Still, he continued to whimper and shake in fear. Remus sighed, letting go of Virgil's wrists. "Virgil, we need to talk"

Virgil shook his head, "I d-don't want to-to ta-talk to you"

"I don't give a shit Virgie," Virgil flinched at the name but Remus continued, "You're gonna do whatever I say. I'm nicer than Dee, we both know that but we also know that I can be pretty mean if I want to be"

Virgil curled up tighter and pressed his back against the wall, "D-don't re-read my mind. It-it hur-hurts me af-after an anxiety-ety attack."

Remus sighed again, "Fine, I won't read your mind but you have to talk to me. I sent Dee to run some errands, he's not here okay?" Virgil nodded and Remus's gaze softened he moved to sit next to Virgil instead of in front of him. They were shoulder to shoulder now, and Virgil tensed at the proximity but didn't try to move.

"I'm sorry for-for trying to-to take the key" Virgil muttered under his breath

"Sorry for trying to take the key or sorry for getting caught?" Remus asked he got no answer "How'd you even meet those heroes anyway?"

"They- they found me af-after Deceit ye-yelled at me. Some-some guys from-from high school were-were beating me up and th-they stopped them. Ro-roman recognized me from-from when they took-took my ma-mask and than I passed-passed out. W-when I woke up I was in their how-house"

Remus frowned at how long it had taken Virgil to answer but didn't say anything about the stutter. He knew that if he did say something so soon after getting him to talk than Virgil would shut down and refuse to talk to them. "Why didn't you leave?" Remus asked him, "We both know that even without your powers you could have left. There were plenty of opportunities for you to leave"

"Th-they're my friends"

"They weren't always your friends" Remus replied, "It takes you way too long to make friends."

"I was scared. W-why are-are you be-being so apro-apro-apropri-." Virgil paused, giving up on the word, and going for a new one "so PG?"

Remus laughed his signature laugh and Virgil flinched at the sound of it, "What's the matter? Don't you like it?" Virgil didn't reply, "My normal... behavior makes you uncomfortable. I need you to talk to me"