Chapter 63

TW: Anxiety, Blood, Deceit, Remus, Death, Serious Self-Deprecation (Patton would be so mad)

Extra Long Chapter (Over 4,000 words)

Day One-Hundred and Thirty-Nine | Tuesday | July 26th | Roman's Birthday

Tap, tap, tap.

"Roman, Virgil, breakfast is ready. Come eat before Lo and I have to leave" Patton said through the door.

Virgil muttered incoherently as he slowly pulled his eyes open. He paused for a moment when he saw a redshirt in front of him and realized there was an arm on him before screaming and pushing Roman away from him and onto the ground, then backing into the corner. Roman woke up half-way to the ground and groaned as he sat up, "Ow," he said to Virgil just as Patton burst into the room with a baseball bat in his hands. "whoah, Padre, drop your weapon" Roman said, slowly standing up as he protectively spread his arms in front of Virgil, who still sat in the bed.

"Why did you scream? What fell? Are you two okay? Who hurt my sons?" Patton asked as he brought the bat higher. Logan entered the room a second later, much calmer and no weapon in hand.

"I- uh- I screamed. I forgot I asked Roman to stay last night and it freaked me out and I pushed him and he fell." Virgil admitted shyly.

"Patton, your pancakes are burning," Logan said when they had confirmed that no one was hurt.

"Oh no," Patton ran off back into the kitchen, taking the bat with him. Logan followed and mumbled something about coffee and sleep schedules.

Roman and Virgil both stopped for a second, still tired and jumpy from the last two minutes before Roman turned to Virgil, "You freak out when you wake up with a hot prince?" Roman asked teasingly

"I freak out when I don't remember falling asleep with a hot prince." Virgil said as he climbed away from the corner he had pushed himself into "Come to think of it, I still don't remember falling asleep with a hot prince. Just a guy who lets things get to his head"

Roman gasped, placing a hand to his chest, "That one stung emo"

"Good. Now let me get changed" Virgil said. Roman smiled a bit before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him. Virgil sighed as he sat on the bed for a second as he remembered everything that happened last night, everything that is except for the last few words he and Roman shared before they fell asleep. He remembered everything else though, he remembered thinking about Roman making him feel safer. He remembered how he actually didn't mind how Roman had brushed his fingers through his hair. He remembered how Roman had helped him through his nightmare, how he calmed him down, how he let Virgil feel his heartbeat. He remembered being too tired to blush or be embarrassed which may have been why his face was so red now. He remembered all of that. He stopped himself before he could start thinking about the nightmare he had had before standing and getting dressed.

Roman was in a similar state, as he searched his closet for what to wear he couldn't help but think about how Virgil had been so warm. Or how his hair had been so soft in his fingers. He couldn't stop thinking about how scared he had been, and how slowly he had been able to break himself out of the nightmare. How he had been so worried about him and Logan, and Patton while in his dream. How his hand had felt when it was over his chest. How his face felt when Roman had wiped the tears away. But just like Virgil, the only thing he couldn't remember was the part where he and Virgil exchanged three little words. He picked an outfit quickly and got changed.

A few minutes later Roman and Virgil had joined Patton and Logan in the kitchen. Patton smiled brightly and quickly ran over to Roman, hugging him tightly. "Happy Birthday Roman!"