Chapter 61

TW: Mentions of Abuse, Mentions of Previous Injuries, Mentions of Car Accidents, Mentions of Prison, Mentions of Homework.

Day One-Hundred and Thirty-Five | Friday | July 22nd

"Virgil" Roman said as he and Patton burst into the apartment with no warning, "We're going swimming"

Virgil and Logan stared at the two for a minute before Logan returned to his book, "I don't have a swimsuit" Roman threw him a plastic bag. Virgil sighed quietly, already knowing what was in the bag, "You didn't have to buy me a swimsuit."

"Well too late, we already took off the tag," Roman said before pausing and muttering to Patton about how they probably should have made sure it actually fit before doing that but they just shrugged it off. "Come on Virge, it's over a hundred degrees outside, It'll be fun"

"Now everyone go get dressed," Patton said with a large and excited smile on his face. Neither Logan or Virgil argued as they let Roman and Patton herd them into their rooms to get changed. They knew better than that, even Virgil who could definitely be more stubborn than either of them chose not to argue. Roman and Patton seemed excited about this, he didn't want to ruin it for them. Besides, it had been pretty warm the past few days, which was no surprise. They lived in Florida and it was the hottest part of the summer, it was surprising they hadn't gone swimming earlier than this. 

A few minutes later Virgil stepped out of the room, the purple swimsuit the other bought him fit him fine. He was wearing a black t-shirt but had left his hoodie in the room. His arms were wrapped around himself, it was more of a self-conscious action than anything else. He wasn't used to showing this much skin, his wardrobe consisted of black jeans and dark-colored t-shirts. He almost always wore his hoodie, sometimes even to sleep, so he wasn't used to showing his arms or legs at all. He had wiped his make-up off as well, knowing that even if he decided not to get into the water he would probably still get wet, and he didn't want it to smear or run. So walking out of the room and finding Roman and Patton already waiting did make him a little nervous.

"Yay! It fits!" Patton said when he noticed him. Roman looked Virgil up and down, unbeknownst to him Virgil was doing the same thing. They locked eyes for a second before looking away from each other. Patton didn't seem to notice and quickly tried to engage Virgil in conversation, "Do you like swimming Virgil?"

"Yeah, it's alright I guess" Virgil replied as they waited for Logan.

Meanwhile, Roman was thinking about how different Virgil looked right now. It wasn't bad different. Then again it wasn't good different. It was just different. There was no good or bad about it, but Roman did like it. Without his make-up, Roman could see that Virgil had a few freckles by his nose, he had never noticed it before. Roman had only ever seen him without make-up a handful of times and all of them were before he really started paying attention to him in that way. The freckles were surprising, but cute. They made him look more relaxed somehow.

His thoughts were interrupted when Logan finally entered the living room again. Patton said something to Virgil before taking Logan's hand and dragging him towards the door, the two led the way to the pool while Roman and Virgil followed behind them, slowly making their way up to the roof where the pool was. Virgil had never gone up higher than the third floor where Roman, Logan, and Patton lived so for a moment he was just surprised that there was anything else up there. Patton pushed the door open, holding it open for everyone. Roman smiled excitedly, barely stopping to take off the Disney T-shirt he wore before jumping into the water. He came up a second later, shivering just slightly at the quick change in temperatures before swimming towards the edge.

"Roman, you were supposed to wait to put on sunscreen" Patton scolded, his tone alone forced Roman to climb out of the pool and take the bottle from the others hands. Virgil could feel himself turn red and cursed himself for taking off the white foundation he normally hid behind.