Chapter 24

Day Thirty-Seven | Saturday | April 15th

"Patton, maybe you should just talk to her?" Roman suggested.

"No Roman! I'm not doing that. I'm not letting her drag me back in" Patton yelled. Logan placed a hand on Patton's shoulder.

"She's just going to keep coming back Pat," Roman said. Meredith had returned to the apartment four times in the last few days and had 'visited' Patton at work six times. Despite the fact that Patton had called the police twice already she still kept coming back. Nobody would be surprised if she were to knock at the door right now.

"I don't care. She can come back as many times as she wants. But every time she does just gives me another reason to hate her and everybody else in that family!" 

"Roman, maybe it would be best to let Patton handle the situation on his own" Logan suggested, trying to end the conversation before it could get out of hand.

"What if it's important?" Roman asked

"When was the last time that women or anybody in my family ever said anything important to me?" Patton asked, "They never cared, they're not going to start now."

"Patton-" Roman began.

Logan gave Roman a look, a look that said, 'don't say anything stupid'  and told him to be careful, "Roman. This is Patton's issue. He doesn't want us meddling so we're not going to meddle"

"None of us ever wanted the others to meddle Logan!" Roman yelled "But we did and that's why we're friends. That's why we're here. We helped each other-"

"I'm not saying you can't help I'm just saying I don't want any of us talking to her" Patton stepped forward, tears steamed up his glasses.

"She found us, Patton! She found us and I want to know how! Nobody in your messed up family knew what city we lived in let alone our apartment. And if she can find us so can other people." 

Logan took a step between his friends "Roman stop. Stop right now"

"No! No, I won't stop." Roman said, "What if they want to apologize? What if they want to make up for it all?"

"I don't care about them-" Patton shouted

"They're your family!"

"No, they're not Roman"

"Patton, Roman, you both need to calm down before things get out of hand," Logan said. He was beginning to grow concerned

Roman and Patton both ignored him, "Or maybe you're right Patton. Maybe they still hate you. Maybe they want to hurt us. None of that matters though because you won't take five minutes to talk to your family!"

"I don't care about my mom. I don't care about my family!"

"You don't care because you're afraid!"

"I don't care about them because I care about you!" Patton shouted. "You're my family, Roman. You and Logan." There was a heavy silence in the room. Roman and Logan were frozen as they stared at Patton, tears still sitting on his face. "I don't need them. I don't need their apologies. All I need are my two best friends in the whole world. All I need is for you and Logan to tell me that it's fine if I don't want to forgive my family. That it's fine to be mad. And fine to still be afraid, and disappointed, and upset."

"Patton-" Roman tired

"I know I should talk to her. I know I should be hopeful that maybe just maybe they've learned something. But I can't. Because that's what I did for eighteen years of my life, and it didn't get me anywhere." Patton wiped at his eyes, "I- I'm going for a walk. I can't be here right now" Patton walked towards the door, grabbing his jacket and keys before leaving.