Chapter 50

TW: Mentions of burning building, Remus, Anxiety.

Day Eighty-Five | Thursday | June 2nd

"Roman!" Logan yelled urgently, his eyes glowing as he held a large chunk of wall. 

"On it!" the other replied, leaving behind the empty, burning, car and running in to help people inside the building, "Alright Logan, I'm inside, drop it and I'll find a new way out as soon as I gather the extras," he said into the small earpiece. There was a crackling before a large boom shook the building. Roman heard a loud scream and rushed towards it to help the civilians who had gotten stuck in the building. "Hey, there guys," Roman said to two kids, a little girl maybe ten years old and a boy just a few years younger, "Let's get you to out of here huh?"

The little girl looked at Roman, "Ma mère! Où est ma Maman?" (My mom! Where is my mom?)

"Oh boy," Roman whispered.

"Is there a problem Roman?" Logan's voice asked through the earpiece

"No, just really wishing I had studied more in french class. Um... Je suis là pour vous aider. Êtes-Vous pomme?" Roman said, most of it came out broken and the look on the girl's face turned to one of confused terror. 

"Roman kiddo?" Patton's voice came through, "You just asked if they were apple."

"What? That doesn't make sense." Roman said, "I could have sworn hurt was pomme"

"Hurt is blessé, Roman, blessé" Logan said

Roman sighed, "Je suis là pour vous aider. Es-tu blessé?" He asked them (I'm here to help. Are you hurt?) 

The girl shook her head before screaming as another boom shook the building. A cloud of dust filled the already dirty building and the boy next to her started hacking, his face was a little blue "Il ne peut pas respirer! La poussière le choque" The girl said as her brother buried his face into his sister's shoulder (He can't breathe! The dust is choking him.)

"Okay," Roman sighed, "I understood about half of that and none of it was very helpful" He reached for the girl and the boy. And though the girl looked terrified and was still wondering where her mother was she took Roman's hand, pulling her brother with her. As soon as he was in reach Roman picked up the boy "How's Virgil doing?" Roman asked as he took the girl's hand in his and tried to find a way out.

"Um" Patton said, "He's conscious."

"I would hope so," Logan responded. Roman didn't say anything as he put the boy back down on the ground and led him and the girl underneath a table before going to the closest wall and shooting a large wall of fire at it. He watched the fire take over and quickly pulled the two kids outside "Roman, the goal is to not  cause damage" Logan yelled

"Look it was between a burnt building or two squished french kids take your pick" Roman said before blasting the building with a stream of water. He heard a lady call out in french and the sounds of running as the kids retreated towards her, quickly giving her hugs and crying as she picked them both up and ran from the scene.

Meanwhile, a little further down the street Patton was directing traffic into his portal that led to the Walmart on the opposite side of town. Virgil had been ordered to hide behind a dumpster not to far away until someone came and got him. He was doing pretty good considering Remus and Deceit had just blown up three buildings and were working on the fourth. Sure he may have been having a tiny panic attack but still, the city was literally crumbling around him and his friends were trying to save it. 

Did he feel kind of useless hiding behind a trash can? Yes. Was he scared for the safety of everyone around him? Absolutely. Was he blaming himself for this? You can bet your bottom dollar. This. Wasn't. Fun.  He heard Patton yell something and somebody scream, Virgil risked a glance around the dumpster and was able to see Patton making a new portal and somebody thanked him before running in.