Chapter 10

Day One | Thursday | March 10th

TW: Remus is actually acting like Remus for once so yeah. That might be worthy of a warning

They had been looking through Virgil's sketchbook when the purple phone rang. An annoying, shrill sound coming from the coffee table. Everyone looked at it, quickly reading the name in bright yellow writing that lit up the screen. Virgil turned to them, wordlessly asking them for permission to answer, and each of them nodded in turn. Virgil bent over to answer the phone putting it on speaker before he spoke. 

He had to stop his breath from shaking as prepared himself for the conversation he was about to have. "Hello?" Virgil asked. Logan lowered the sketchbook still held in his hands, fully prepared to end the call at a moment's notice if the need arose, though he doubted it would. While he did not trust Virgil, he did not believe he was faking any of the feelings he had expressed that day. The fact that the only actor in the room hadn't called Virgil out on anything (besides being a villain of course) had only cemented the fact that this was not an act.

"Virgil, we are about to reach the border to Georgia. We don't need you to send us your address." Deceits voice said. In the background, they could all hear Remus beginning to yell very loud and rude words at whoever had just cut him off. The radio could be heard playing the ends of the Queen song 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. and the honking of several horns also came through the phone. 

Virgil looked over at the others again, not knowing exactly what to say. They had said they would discuss what to do, but they hadn't, and Virgil didn't have a lie prepared. Roman motioned for him to continue. Virgil opened his mouth to say something into the phone but suddenly there was a loud screech echoing into the phone and Remus yelled something so inappropriate that Virgil was sure his face was about to burst into flames. "Remus! Can't you see I'm on the phone? Keep talking, don't focus on the road, and don't leave the damn cat alone!" Deceit yelled loudly.

Virgil shook his head, covering his face with his hands. He had no idea what had happened and he wasn't sure he wanted to know either. Patton now wore a very concerned look, while Roman seemed surprised, and Logan showed no emotion at all. "What if I tell you it's worth sixty-nine points?" Remus questioned. 

"No. If you don't shut up and you'll be worth sixty-nine points!" Deceit yelled again

"Guess I should keep talking then," Remus said before he suddenly screamed. 

Virgil looked at the heroes again. Patton suddenly looked a lot more concerned and was covering his ears, Romans face now showed confusion, and Logan looked like he really wanted the call to end. Virgil was ultimately just embarrassed, he was used to behavior like this from his old roommates but it was still incredibly embarrassing for them to act like this around others. Even if they didn't know Virgil wasn't the only one listening. "Virgil! Are you still there?" Deceits voice said again

"Mhm" Virgil said, his face still bright red.

"Good. Don't send us that address. Are you in public?" Deceit asked. The sound of the radio and any sign of Remus was now gone. That left the car horns outside as the only background noise, which though they had not ceased had slowed. 

Virgil looked at the others, Logan nodded. "Yeah, I walked to a cafe a few blocks from the station" Virgil responded. 'He doesn't know you're lying. It'll be fine. Everything is going to be fine' He forced himself to think positively, something that wasn't normal for him. The thought of getting caught still scared him though.

"Remus! I swear that if you stop acting like a psychopath and trying to kill us than I'm going to leave you next to the dumpster!" Deceit yelled again, before lowering his voice to speak to Virgil again "If you ever decide to run away don't take Remus with you."