Chapter 77

TW: Self-Deprecating Patton, Anxiety, Evil Remy, Remus, Deceit, Abuse, Mentions of Death, Mentions of Logan's Past, Trying to Force Someone into a Relationship, Mentions of Sex (it's Remus what do you expect)

Day Two | Saturday | August 20th 

Logan jumped in front of Patton when the door opened. Patton didn't stop him, he had learned from the first time. He couldn't even protect himself how could he protect his friends? He had panicked over spiders. Spiders that weren't even there. He had just proved to those villains that he was the weakest one. When Sleep gave them those nightmares, he woke up crying. Logan and Roman didn't cry, they were scared but they didn't cry. He- he was weak, he knew that he couldn't deny that. So, no, he didn't stop Logan from positioning himself in front of him. Instead, he allowed himself to become slightly smaller. 

"G-guys?" A voice asked as fingers fumbled against the wall to find a switch before the low and weak lights flickered on.

"Virgil! Are you okay kiddo?" Patton asked as Virgil quickly climbed down the steps, "Roman and Lo said you came down earlier"

Virgil nodded as he sat down in front of them, taking the outstretched hand that Roman offered him. "V? Did they hit you? You have a bruise" Roman told him, gently brushing his fingers over the dark mark on Virgil's face.

Virgil winced, a hiss of pain exiting his lips, "It's fi-fine," Virgil muttered, "I'm fine"

"Virgil-" 

"I brought-brought you guys some- um- gra-granola bars," Virgil said as he dug the snack bars out of his pockets, "I would-would've brought something- more but they- wouldn't let me. They don't eve-even know I have them and-and I-I-"

"Virgil," Roman interrupted, "Take a breath, this is fine. Thank you" 

"Roman's right kiddo. You're doing your best."

Logan nodded, "We only care for your safety Virgil, do not worry about something if it'll put you in danger"

Roman brought his hand to Virgil's face again, making sure to keep it away from the bruise, "Virgil, why did they hit you?"

"It's fine Roman, it barely even hurts"

"That's not the problem-"

"Roman, please-"

"You can't just let them hit you V."

"Yeah well, it's not exactly like I have a choice right now Roman." Virgil paused, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to- I'm just re-really anxious and scared right now"

"It's okay Virgil, I'm sorry too. I just- I don't want them hurting you"

Virgil nodded, "I-I don't want you guys getting hurt and- and they were gonna come down here so I tried to-to stop them and then and then um, this happened. Bu-but I'm fine, I pro-promise"

"Kiddo," Patton began, "Don't-"

"Virgil!" Remus said in a sing-song voice, "We need you upstairs"

Virgil looked hesitant to leave, squeezing Roman's hand slightly. "Kiddo, you need to go," Patton said quietly, "try not to get hurt anymore okay?"

"Okay, I'll-I'll see- be back soon okay?"

The others nodded, Roman lightly pushed him away. Virgil took a deep breath, it came out shaky, "Virgil! Now!" Remus yelled. Virgil bit his lip before pulling away and going towards the stairs. Once again the door slammed shut behind him and Virgil jumped away.

"Remus-"

"Aw! I'm sorry were you busy with your boyfriend?" Remus asked mockingly, "Did I interrupt something?" Virgil backed away, his back hitting the kitchen counter. "Aw, Virgie."