Chapter 29 Grief is Another Stage Pt. 1

Your POV

I threw a punch against the punching bag, it didn't hurt anymore. After all the punches I have thrown at the punching bag, I don't feel the pain anymore. Just pressure against the glove. 

My left hand hit the bag and stayed there. I was getting tired of training for once. That is all I have been doing, plus eating and sleeping. Not talking much either.

Kai, Jay, and Cole have all gone and left to do something else. I don't know what they are doing, I haven't talked to them since Zane's funeral.

I clenched my right hand swinging at the punching bag, the bag swung back and forth as I shook my right hand. "That punch hurt..." I sigh taking my gloves off and setting them on my dresser.

My eyes rose to the mirror looking at myself. My puffy eyes from another night of crying, unshowered hair, and the sweat on my clothing from the training. 'This probably the worse I've looked since I left my adopted parents.'

A knock on my door interrupted my thoughts, I shook my head heading to the door. Opening it slightly for only my eye to be seen, Nya stood there with a soft smile. "Hi, Y/n. How are you doing?"

"Fine... do you need me?" I ask as kind as possible. 

"Wu wants you to wash the dishes... I know you probably-"

"I'll be out in fifteen minutes," I answer as I softly close my door.

I don't want to go out and clean dishes. I've been doing that at night when everyone is asleep so I'm not asked any questions. 

Everyone has been taking Zane's death differently, I, have been avoiding everyone and thinking about him. His kind smile, the quirky jokes he's told us, his amazing cooking skills. He made the team whole.

I open my door to my bathroom undressing to get really to see everyone again.

I peeked around the corner seeing everyone, Wu, Garmadon, Nya, and Lloyd standing around the island talking. It looked as if they were done cooking and eating all together. I didn't want to go out and talk to them, I would have done the dishes later.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as I walk over to the sink, avoiding eye contact with them. Their conversation died down as soon as I came into view. I knew they were staring at me as I turned on the sink letting the water run over the dishes piled in the sink.

"Y/n, we have food here for you," Garmadon spoke up as I picked up the sponge. 'At least they were thinking about me...'

"I'm not hungry. I'm just here to wash the dishes," I say as I rubbed circles on the bowl and rinsing it under the water. "If one of you want seconds, you can-"

"We know the lose of Zane has been hurting you a lot, Y/n," Lloyd cuts me off, I hear his footstep onto the ground. "We all have been."

Placing the clean dish into the drying rack, I picked a new dish up. "I know. I know all of you are taking this different and so am I."

"Can you at least go on a walk with me?" asks Lloyd standing beside me, his arm brushing against mine as I clean the dishes. 

"I have plans. Sorry, Lloyd," I whisper out rinsing another dish. 

"What plans do you have? You haven't gone outside in days," Lloyd nagged at me leaning over me.

Placing the last dish into the drying rack. I grab ahold of the towel drying my hands off and turning off the running water. "Lloyd, let her talk," Wu interrupts the golden ninja. 'Please, Wu just...'

"But- Uncle-"

"Lloyd," I mumble out looking up at the boy. Grabbing his attention, he turns his eyes back to me. His eyebrows rose in shock as he looking at my face. "I have plans, that's all."

I turn my head to Wu, "I have done the dishes, is there anything else?"

"No, you can leave now, Y/n," Garmadon says kindly to me with a smile.

My cheeks rose to give as a very faint smile before I walked away back to my room. Turning the corner, I stood there to listen to them.

"Don't be so subtle with her, Nephew. She is in grief," Wu tells him.

"But, what plans does she have? I haven't heard her talk to anyone. She is constantly training ever since she has had the punching bag," announces Lloyd. "Whenever I try to talk to her, she never opens the door. She is isolating herself from the people that care about her."

'I am... I don't want anyone knowing how I feel...'

"She isn't the only one isolating herself, the entire team is, son. As she said, we all grieve differently. For her, isolation may be what she does," Garmadon says.

"We all want the team back together like their normal selves. We all want Zane back."

Pulling down on the bennie to over my hair more, I look at the door of the fighting tournament. From the outside, it looked like a normal dojo, but the windows said otherwise. I could see a bar inside with colorful lights, skeletons and serpentine inside too. I push open the door peeking inside, I was looking for one person not anyone else.

Everyone seemed to keep going on with their conversation, not paying attention to me. Which was nice. I made my way to the second floor to get a better view of everything. A pit in the middle there was a fight going on, between a serpentine and someone else. 

I rested my arms against the safety guard looking down into the pit. The fight looked like the person had the upper hand over the serpentine, sad because serpentine are really strong. It just takes them time as the rest of us.

The serpentine was knocked down onto the ground pinned down by the other person's foot. "The winner is the Red Shogun!"

The Red Shogun smiled looking around as people cheered at them. When their head turned my way, I knew who they were. Kai Smith. 

His eyes saw mine and his smile died down. I waved at him to let him know it was me.

I watched as Kai exited the pit waving his down for me to come down. I leaned off the safety guard walking back down the steps, seeing the 'Red Shogun' standing there.

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be training with Lloyd?" Kai asks rudely.

"I don't know what they are doing. They don't even know I left," I admit slipping past the boy to the bar. 

"Can I have an f/d?" I ask sitting down in a stool resting my hands in my lap.

"So, you snuck out?" Kai asks steeping beside me leaning his head in his hand. 

"No, I left because I needed space. Even if I don't talk to them," I mumble grabbing my drink from the bartender. I watch as some money is placed down beside me, "I'll pay for it."

"Did something happen?" asks Kai sitting my stool towards him.

"I don't know. I came out to clean dishes and Lloyd made it a big deal that I had 'plans' today because I haven't left days," I explain to him sipping on my f/d.

Kai didn't respond, it was weird. He always had something to say during every moment, the hothead he is would have shouted by now. 

I felt my drink leave my hands by his hands, "What-" Kai's arms wrapped around me pulling me into a hug. His arms slipping me off the stool onto my feet. I couldn't help but hold him too. My arms wrapped around his neck as he held me under my shoulders. I have missed hugs.

"I'm sorry... It's difficult to be a team without Zane," he whispers into my ear holding me tighter. "I want to be a team, but it can't be the same."

"Me too."

His arms loosened around me so he could face me with his chocolate brown eyes, "I can get changed and we can go on a walk and get food. If you want too?"

I gave him a small toothless smile, "Sure."