♕ On Characters ♕

Characters are the lifeblood of RP

Characters are the lifeblood of RP. No matter how incredibly crafted a plot, it is the characters who keep a story going, or fail to do so. One of the benefits of getting to start this RP again after a short break is the perspective of learning what works and what doesn't. 

In most cases, I have tried to keep the original concept of characters the same in moving them over to this roleplay. Throughout the course of RP, some of our players worked with me to create very intricate stories that link everyone to everyone else. Saying yes to those ideas meant saying no to others (the Queen can only have so many cousins), and filling in plot holes. In other cases, people didn't really play certain roles, and those characters and their connections were very underdeveloped. Edits to characters and additional characters have been made to increase success and activity of this RP and its storylines. 

The first page of roles was crafted blindly from memory and imagination. If I got your character so wrong that you no longer wish to play it, don't despair. It means I didn't know or understand your character because we never interacted, and without notes, I used my imagination to fill in the blanks. There is also the possibility you were not the first person playing your character, and all I need is a copy of your character's sheet in order to craft a better description. Please don't be impatient, as this is something we can fix together. 

For the second grouping of characters, notes were rescued, but they may not be an accurate reflection of how characters developed and evolved. I try not to craft too many connections before the RP starts, because the best ones are those that develop along the way.

Suggestions on the appearance/faceclaims of characters are just that: suggestions. You're totally free to ignore them. However, with the number of storylines involving illegitimate children, secret affairs, and who has a right to what in this story---the fact that people look like others in their house tends to be very relevant. I love diversity and imagination in character appearances, but we've got to keep it story-appropriate. 

Perfect characters are death to drama. They are dull and there ends up being so little one can do with them. I like to give characters very real and human flaws, as well as very realistic positive attributes. The beauty of George R.R. Martin's fantasy world is how much humanity is reflected in it, and the way people struggle with their flaws and the firmness of convictions and beliefs that may or may not be healthy or accurate. 

If you don't like some aspects of how a character is depicted, talk to me about that. Say you'd rather play B instead of A. You may have a much more interesting idea than I do. 

Character sketches are just a jumping off point. What you do with a character from there, how they grow and change and learn, this is the essence of character development and remarkable story-building. 

Go forth and create! <3