♕ Leiland Finnegan Umber ♕

Role: The Dreamy-Eyed Minstrel

Character Name: Leiland Finnegan Umber

Nickname: He doesn't have one, but you can give him one if you want. 

Gender: Male

Age: 24

Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual, but, you know, rumors...

Faceclaim: Nicholas Hoult

Personality: Leiland is an overconfident rogue, witty, eager to live in the moment and experience everything. He's a bit on the existentialist angst side of things, thinking everyone must make the most of life because tomorrow we may all be dead.  Being from House Umber, this is natural for him and not at all depressing. Leiland comes off as the charismatic fellow you want to sing bawdy songs and have a pint with. He'll pick up a sword, but only if necessary. Unlike his upbringing suggests, he's not a natural warrior and he grew up longing to be a part of a world with more simple luxuries and refinement than the one he came from. Leiland's true love is music, and he quickly figured out that gift plus a little charm and Northern bravado could give him more than a warm meal every now and then. Though his ancestors would be ashamed that he prefers life in the Court to life in the harsh battlefields of the North, he doesn't care much. You only live once, and we're all going die someday. He can come off as a bit aggressive sometimes, but only because of a natural impatience in his personality. While this temper was nurtured in a future Northern Lord, it gets him in a little bit of trouble in his new position as a Court tutor and musician. Rumors abound about him. As is the fate of many artistic men, many wonder if he prefers the handsome men of the Court to the noble ladies who always seem to wear a little less on lesson days. Others think he's the father of more than one child in Westeros whose not-so-musically-inclined mother discovered other ways to pass the time during lessons. Some even believe he's the Queen's lover, despite being half her age. She shows Leiland a kind of favor that keeps people gossiping. For some reason, no one ever believes the Queen is just nice! 

Backstory: Liam became Lord Umber in duty, if not in name, thanks to the failing health of his father. The elder Lord Umber began suffering from a mysterious ailment when Leiland was a young man, one that rendered him unfit to do much but drink and complain about life. At only 45 years old, Lord Umber is not old or enfeebled and many believe his mysterious illness is due to the harshness of the North. He'd rather be seen as weak than dead. Leiland's mother died when he was only 14. He loves and misses her greatly, as she was the only sense of stability in an otherwise cold and lawless world.  It gave him the freedom to cavort around the North, drinking, brawling, and seducing women who hoped for a way out of their small villages. He's refused to marry, even when honor says he probably should, preferring a duel to a wife and child he's not sure is his. In the North, no one's ever sure. In some way, he always resented those women schemed to get more from life because he wanted the same for himself. Leiland is aware he has to grow up sometime, but doesn't plan on it being now. He won't be Lord Umber for some time, if the Gods are merciful, and he has two younger siblings to tend to his father. He knows deep down he's wronged some people to win his freedom, but doesn't waste time dwelling. After all, we're all going to die someday.

Likes: Intelligent conversation, wordplay, flirtation, music, not taking life too seriously.

Dislikes: Impatient people, being interrupted, overly dominant personalities that aren't his, and death.

Fear: Fears death. It seems scary. He brushes it off by using it as an excuse to not accept any responsibility in life.