FOSTER DAD AND I

Enjoy this chapter! 

SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD ECHO MINOR sprinted inside the house like she was the explorer from Temple Run being chased by the wicked demonic monkeys. The sharp click of the door shutting softly behind her, as she pressed her body against the double wood mahogany door.

You would've thought she was the next Usain Bolt how fast she darted up the winder stairs groaning in agony as her body slammed into the wall, her shoulder coming in contact with a wall mirror that hung gracefully against the colorful array of the wall painted a beautiful marigold color.

The glass crumbled, shrieking its own melodramatic song as its glassware shattered into a thousand pieces. Her eyes were dreadful yet coppery brownish flecked with the mixture of hot cocoa, the ray of sunlight coming through the window shining directly through her eyes making them shimmer like the sun would do the sea. She stood frozen in place looking on in horror at the glass that was shattered to bits from the impact, she forced the saliva down her esophagus knowing her foster mother, Cindy was going to give her the business.

Echo was startled from the sudden outburst of the front door banging against the wall sounding like an explosion before bouncing off of the wall the loudness of it reverberating throughout the house. She looked on in astonishment with her mouth ajar at who stood before her at the doorway with a sinister smile, eyes crossed, trudging inside.

It was Jahseh and fuck! She forgot to lock the door, she just knew apprehension was right around the corner waiting for her because of her stupid actions. She immediately covered her ear letting out a wince at the high-pitched screeching noise of the head of the ax being shoved around on the plywood floor as Jahseh neared the steps. She took a step back just as Jahseh took a step forward, his eyes blacker than the bottom of the sea.

Feeling wetness on her left arm, she gasped at her gaped arm thick cherry blood spewing out of it. You could even see the white meat. Silent droplets of blood hit the floor profusely as she placed a jittery hand on her nasty wound being extra careful not to press down on it, trying to at least stop the bleeding, but even that wasn't helping.

Her blood just seeped between the spaces between her fingers. She wasn't prepared for what was to come next, Jahseh seized her by her neck and picked her up supporting her back at the same time and slammed her body on the stairs, dust particles escaping from underneath her causing the stairs to make a loud creaking noise. The hard collision made Echo scream in bloody murder hearing something snap in her body. She began to bawl like a baby witnessing her foster dad pick up the axe he plunged in the ground when she was nursing her arm. Her vision was blurry but she knew deep down she was done for.

Jahseh stood in front of Echo holding the throat of the handle to the ax, his chest heaving up and down as he glared at his helpless foster daughter with flared nostrils. "This is the epitome of "Everybody dies in their nightmare." Jahseh spoke in a dead tone tilting his head to the side before lifting the ax.

***

It was nearing four o'clock in the morning when Echo bolted upright out of her sleep with thin blue sheets covering the bottom half of her body. She brought her hand from under the sheets and clutched at her chest, feeling the sensation of her heart pumping sufficiently as it pulsated in the palm of her hand. She couldn't seem to calm the short, deep breaths that escaped her mouth nor the beating of her heart that thumped wildly. The sweat poured down her face making her peanut butter skin glisten. Echo twin size bed was across from her ajar window being protected by a window screen.

From her window being ajar the full moonlight glimmered into her room and shone on her body and face playing across her baby alike features and showing the beauty within her eyes as she squinted through the darkness of her room making out some objects. Her hands instantly went to her damp shirt, her hands absentmindedly wondering her body for any signs of injuries before flinging her shirt off of her body.