THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE

1,979 words

Felicity pinched the bridge of her nose as her co-worker Misty flailed her arms about in a dramatic motion to exhibit her frustration with Felicity's complacency. The two had been arguing about the nature of Felicity's significant other, Jahseh, who had a habit of being subversive to their relationship. Due to the surplus of women who routinely come up to "inform" her of her so-called cheating lover, the reaction to the overabundance of "respectful women" bragging on their relations with Jahseh has always been silence. Her domestic partner had always been promiscuous, and the initial shock of infidelity had long departed from the two's four-year relationship.

Misty, however, expecting some sort of reaction to what she thought was heart-wrenching news, escalated the situation getting closer to a non-confrontational Felicity, causing their employers to quickly spring into action, fearing the imminent response of assault. As the owner of the shop tried to calm down a flustered Misty, Felicity began to put away her laptop and folders of work, expecting to be sent home or fired. Slinging the large tote bag over her shoulder, she began to walk out of the building, the position of her job weighing heavily on her mind. Shutting the car door of the car she was only recently able to afford, she laid her head down on the steering wheel in deep thought. After wiping the few stray tears that had fallen during her contemplation, she started her car and headed to her South Florida home.

Walking through the front door, she was immediately greeted by the moans of an unknown female and the groans of her significant other. Sighing, she hung her keys on the rack near the doorway and made her way to the kitchen to prepare dinner. A while later, after the harsh moaning had stopped, a skinny blonde female wandered down the stairs only to be frightened by the glimpse of his partner casually in the kitchen preparing a meal. Felicity was aware of the woman nearby, but she considered her a nonfactor so she continued to go on about her business. The soft click of the front door shutting gave an indication that the woman had left. Jahseh soon made an appearance and descended down the stairs. His startled eyes met the presence of his girlfriend, but she paid him no mind as she seasoned the chicken in the sink humming softly to herself.

Jahseh checked the rolex on his wrist sensing the time. "What are you doing here?" He asks her, getting an apple from the fruit bowl and taking a bite out of it splattering juices on his face. He snatched a napkin off the table and cleaned his face, tossing it into a nearby trash can.

He made his way over to her standing directly behind her "You don't hear me talking to you bruh?"

Felicity stopped what she was doing, dropping the meat in the sink with a thud focusing on her boyfriend. "What is there to talk about exactly?" She answered him in a tiresome voice not really wanting to be bothered or in his presence. "I had a long stressful day at work, I just want to unwind and forget about today,"

Facing the thawed meat, Felicity went back to what she was doing. She huffed feeling Jahseh press his front up against her backside. "Jahseh could you not? I'm not exactly in the mood, and it seems like you fixed your issues with that other female that just left" she stated, rolling her eyes in the process.

"Baby, it wasn't even like that, I promise" he whined, wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his head on her shoulder. "Jahseh, you do realize I've been here for at least an hour right? You don't have to lie to me" she responded, moving the chicken onto a pan and removing his arms from her waist.

"Why would I be lying? I swear nothing happened with her. Baby?" he asked, wondering why she was not responding. She turned around abruptly to face him. "Jahseh, it's fine. Just drop it. Please." she muttered, whispering the last portion. Running a hand over her face, she grabbed the pan and turned back around to gently set the dish into the oven. Ignoring her boyfriend's presence, she began to set aside pots for making rice and vegetables as a side for the chicken.