DOUBLE LIFE

2,306 words 

𝐀𝐚𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙖'𝙨 up-turned dark brown eyes gazed attentively at her boyfriend, Jahseh. She was intrigued to know who had him absent from their bed just to be standing outside their bedroom door in the middle of the hallway this late at night on his phone in what appeared to be a heated argument. She only assumes so because of his facial expressions. His eyes resembled a lit match ablaze with color like Autumn, flashing with ferocity. His well defined oval jawline was jutted and tensed. He brushed his dreads upward out of his face and as he pivoted to head down the stairs, Aaraya caught a glimpse of his eyes. So much emotion held inside. She listened attentively to his footsteps until the soft padding of them faded away.

She swept her shoulder length bob behind her ear only for a few strands to emerge again as she sauntered into the room where she lay her head. She shut the door softly behind her. Her pedicured feet met the soft carpet. The king size bed sheets swallowed her whole due to her petite build. She held her body pillow against her body, feeling the coolness of it wishing it was Jahseh's heated body instead.

She closed her eyes preparing for sleep, but fluttered them back open hearing the creak of the door open slightly and then the shadows of his movement pause. She peeked at him seeing that only his head was through the doorway. She assumed Jahseh thought she was fast asleep, but here she was watching his every movement intrigued to know what he was up to. She watched like a hawk would do its prey as he dug through his joggers retrieving his car keys. This instantly made her ears perk up hearing the soft jiggle of his keys.

Her mouth was now ajar. "Jahseh?" she said softly, emerging from under the covers.

Pushing the door away from him, Jahseh appeared in the doorway clutching his car keys in his hand. He subconsciously ran his tongue over his full lips admiring what he was witnessing. He furthered inside the room. "What?"

Pulling the loose spaghetti strap back onto her shoulder she got out of bed and stood in front of him. "What do you mean what?" she responded with furrowed eyebrows. "Why aren't you in bed?"

Sighing, he took a brief look around the room before his eyes landed on her attractive features taking in her beauty. "Couldn't sleep," he told her in a husky, masculine voice.

She grabbed a hold of his hand feeling the roughness of it as she slipped her small hand in his retreating back to their bed. "Not tonight baby," she whispered letting her butt meet the soft bed as she took her spaghetti tank top dress off leaving her in a bralette with the matching panties.

She took the keys away from him. "Aaraya," he groaned in exasperation trying to take the keys back, but she kept them behind her back shaking her head left and right as if to tell him no with her hair bob swaying back and forth.

"Look, Aaraya. I can't sleep. I just wanna go for a drive. I promise I'll be back later" he said wrapping his hands around her waist and kissing her on the forehead. As Aaraya was contemplating whether or not she should allow him to leave the premises, Jahseh used the advantage of his hand placement to swipe the keys away from her grasp, making her realize the childish trap she had just been a victim to. He placed another soft kiss onto her nose and walked out the door, making a cold breeze pass by her barely clothed body. Realizing she would not be able to rely on her lover for warmth, She slid one of his Orange "Revenge" hoodies over the thin, white bralette that she had worn to bed. Exhaling loudly, Aaraya made her way down the hall, stopping at the thermostat to adjust the settings to a better temperature. Getting back into bed, she began to worry about the well-being of her boyfriend. The thoughts of drunk drivers and other reckless Floridians flew through her mind, keeping her awake.

Jahseh pulled into the parking lot of the conjoined townhouse and parked crookedly on the black asphalt. Getting out of his black bmw, he already heard the complaints of his spouse Jenesis, who seemed to be cursing at him in Spanish. As he neared the door, he sighed and wished he could be back with Aaraya, where at least he could get some peace and quiet.