chapter one

Amelia Grace Potter. The infamous Harry Potters younger sister. Harry and I hadn't grown up with one another as when my parents were killed, I was taken to live with the Weasley family and that's where I grew up. I appreciated the Weasley family immensely as they took me in and raised me as one of their own however, I couldn't help but feel a little out of place. They all had striking red hair and pale freckled skin whereas I had olive toned skin and long black curly hair. Our personalities clashed quite a bit also, I was very introverted so was grateful to share a room with Ginny as we both kept to ourselves quite a bit. Ron and I were close growing up being the same age, however under certain circumstances we grew apart when starting Hogwarts.

It was heartbreaking being sorted into Slytherin when my brother got sorted into Gryffindor the first day that I met him. I still remember the apologetic smile Ron and Harry gave me as I walked over to the Slytherin table. Percy barely spoke to me for 3 months. It took me a few years to accept that being in Slytherin didn't make me a bad person and it also took a while for my house mates to realize I wasn't a carbon copy of my oh-so-amazing brother. Don't get me wrong, I loved Harry with all my heart, he was my only real family however, it was hard being overshadowed by him all the time. You see the night he fought Voldemort as a baby, my where abouts were unknown. I don't have a scar like Harry and wasn't famous like him. No one even realized Harry had a sister until I arrived here. I even felt left out of the 'golden trio'. Harry and Ron would never let me join in when fighting off evil wizards, they barely let me know what's going on half the time. I used to think it was because they don't trust me, I knew it was wrong of me to be friends with Draco Malfoy and his little group of followers, but they were different when we were all just hanging out in the common room. I think Harry and Ron don't realize that sometimes they can say things to Draco just as mean as Draco spits back.

Draco and I's relationship had always been a bit odd. We met on the first day of Hogwarts right before sorting and I almost blame him for me being sorted into Slytherin as I made eye contact with him right as the sorting hat screamed out my house. When we were waiting to be sorted, Draco offered his hand to Harry and introduced himself to which Ron chuckled at, a mistake on his behalf as Draco then began insulting him. In our first year, we had a very love hate relationship as he saw me as a copy of my brother, but sooner or later we found we actually had a lot in common. Our friendship grew throughout the years and although I would always stick up for Harry, Ron and Hermione, he usually shut his mouth about it around me.

We were now in our fourth year of Hogwarts sat in the great hall waiting for the welcoming ceremony to start. I was sat on the Slytherin table, Draco to my left and Tracey Davis to my right. Draco was boasting about the seats his father managed to get him for the quidditch world cup, but I rolled my eyes.

"Now we are all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement "Dumbledore announced, interrupting Draco's little boasting session. "This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well." We all turned to each other with confused looks on our faces. Draco seemed smug as if he already knew what was going on.

"Triwizard tournaments being held here this year, my father was told by the ministry." He whispered into my ear as I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and looked back over to Dumbledore.

"You see Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event," He continued, I looked back over to Draco who was now smugly raising his eyebrows at me, but I rolled my eyes back. "The Triwizard tournament."

Dumbledore continued to explain the Triwizard tournament, emphasizing the danger before introducing us to the two schools we were up against. First, Beauxbatons. All the boy's mouths were agape at the sight of the elegant and beautiful girls waltzing into the great hall. I turned to Draco to see him and Blaise smirking at each other and I kicked him under the table.

"Ouch, what was that for?" He whined at me, but I ignored him. Draco and I were nothing more than friends however I didn't appreciate him completely objectifying the girls of Beauxbatons. Dumbledore then introduced Durmstrang and in walked the one and only Viktor Krum. This time it was my jaw hanging and Draco kicked me under the table like I did him. I elbowed him in return and huffed, turning my shoulder to him.

The welcoming feast was a little more exciting this year with a lot of discussion about the Triwizard tournament and sharing Hogwarts with other schools this year however it quickly passed, and we were all off to our common rooms.

"I just hope this stupid tournament doesn't get in the way of classes, otherwise I'll be telling my father." Draco whined as Pansy hopelessly agreed.

"Nerd." I poked at him, but he just smirked down at me.

"You're just jealous I'm top of the class for Slytherin in almost every subject." He poked back.

"Malfoy, you're so right. I'm oh so ridiculously jealous of you." I sarcastically remarked, dramatically fluttering my eyelashes at him as he pushed my shoulder, and everyone laughed. We were all quite exhausted from the train journey and the huge feast, so we didn't spend long in the common room before heading off to bed.

-

I woke up the next day looking forward to going back to classes as it felt like summer had lasted ridiculously long. First off, we had Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Gryffindors and I was excited to be able to sit with Hermione and catch up with what she'd been up to over the summer.

I walked into class and said hello to Harry and Ron before sitting in the empty stool next to Hermione.

"Hey." I greeted her, giving her a smile which she gracefully returned.

"Hey, Amelia." She replied. "What do you think of Mad Eye Moody being the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher then?"

"No clue, he seems a bit odd." I responded, getting out my books "but if Dumbledore trusts him then there's no need to worry."

We were soon interrupted by Moody walking in and introducing himself. There was a strange aura in the room as we were all silent, which was rare. Especially for a Gryffindor and Slytherin class as there are usually insults left right and center.

He introduced himself and aggressively began teaching the lesson. He began teaching us about the three unforgivable curses, which we had barely touched on before.

"Now the ministry say you are too young to see what these curses do – I say different!" he exclaimed, everyone jumping back slightly. He began talking about the imperious curse before bringing out a small insect from a jar at the front of the classroom." Imperio" He said, and the insect began flying round the room at his wands control. It landed on Goyle's head and I began laughing alongside everyone else. Moody continued to fly it around the room onto various people's desks before wavering it above Ron's head, and then flying it into Malfoy's face.

This seemed lighthearted for a curse; however, the lesson began going south from there. Everyone began getting more and more uncomfortable as the lesson went on, especially when Moody brought Neville up to the front of the class and started talking about the Cruciatus curse. A curse that was used on Neville's parents to drive them to insanity. Moody casted the spell on the insect and the insect squealed in pain. Neville looked very uncomfortable and when I looked around the classroom, even Draco looked uncomfortable at the teacher's actions.

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him!" Hermione shouted across the classroom as the insect continued to shriek. Eventually, Moody snapped out of it and turned back to the class. Moody picked up the insect and brought it over to Hermione and I's desk and placed it in front of us. We both stared forward and refused to look down at the tortured being in front of us.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse, miss Granger." Moody mumbled smugly. Hermione's lip was quivering, and she shook her head, refusing to give Moody the curse. Moody grumbled and raised his wand to the bug anyways. "Avada Kedavra!" Moody cursed, the insect dying in front of our faces. "The killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. He's sitting in this very room." Moody walked over to Harry and looked down at him.