chapter fifty four

I sat in the cold dark dungeons of Malfoy Manor, to which I didn't even know existed until that day. They threw me in here as soon as we arrived, no recognizable faces in sight for me to call out to. I felt numb, staring forward, sat on the floor with my knees pulled to my chest. I couldn't decide whether this was a dumb thing to do or not, but I didn't care. I was so close to him and I knew he would find me.

I had been in here for hours, the cold was pricking my skin through my light clothing but at least it meant I felt something. My hair was in two ratty French braids as I hadn't been able to wash it in a while, I hadn't looked in a mirror for months, but I knew I would be pale and ill looking – I felt it at least.

Heavy footsteps and jingling keys were heard from the stairs as an unrecognizable death eaters face appeared.

"The dark lord wishes to speak with you." He smirked before unlocking the metal door. My stomach sank. The dark lord very rarely appeared for anyone; this was going to go horrifically.

I bit the corner of my cheek before stumbling to my feet. The man grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me along, they had taken my wand long ago. He walked me through a few rooms before stopping outside a large dark wood door. He let go of my arm and nodded foreword as if hinting for me to enter.

Where was Draco? Or even Narcissa? Had they not heard of my arrival?

A lump grew in my throat, but I swallowed it harshly. I'm not a child anymore, I have to do these things alone. I brought my shaky hand up to the door and pushed it open. The room was dark, no windows and the only light coming from a few lit lanterns floating around the room.

The door slammed behind me and my heart quickened. I could see the cloaked figure facing away from me, I couldn't see his face, but his presence was unmissable.

I quietly made my way to the center of the room before standing still. Voldemort turned on his feet, swiftly raising his wand in his right hand.

Our eyes locked and my jaw tightened as he smirked at me.

"Dearest Amelia Black," He sneered, his feet tapping on the floor softly as he approached me. "I hear you claim to be one of us."

"I am, my lord." I said under my breath as that was all I could muster. "or at least... I wish to be."

"Is that so." He grinned – he was so hard to read. He came closer to me, lifting his pale boney fingers to my face before lifting my chin. I pursed my lips as his long fingernails dug into my skin. "Your family has a history of betraying me." He spat.

"They are not my family." I spoke up.

"And you would do anything to prove your loyalty?" He spoke down at me, almost sarcastically.

"Anything." I spat out, my fists in two balls as I tried to keep out the visions in my head of all the pain he's caused so many people.

He smirked viciously before grabbing my wrist and pulling it up to his face. My eyes widened as he yanked my sleeve up and ... breathed in the scent of my skin. He laughed wildly, bringing his wand up and quickly pressing it against my forearm.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry out in pain, but I felt stuck in my body. Sharp excruciating pains electrified through out every inch of my body as black shadows spread throughout my forearm. I fell to my knees, but the wand followed me down.

I let out one large cry as my vision went dark. I had never felt anything like it, like my insides were on fire and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I eventually breathed out, but it was too late, I lay half-conscious on the floor as the he let go and stepped over me, exiting the room.

There was no going back now, I had made my choice. I still couldn't move; the pain had gone but it left another eerie feeling – shame. I eventually managed to move my forearm so that it was in my vision. I was still dazed, and everything was blurry, but it was clear to my what now lived on my skin forever.

The dark mark.

-

I had no idea how long it had been before someone found me there, an hour ... maybe more. I hadn't been able to move as my body felt numb and my mind was racing.

"Amelia- "Narcissa's calming voice called out from behind me. I managed to turn on my side to see Lucius stood at the door and Narcissa approaching me. Lucius shook his head, he looked worse than ever. He turned around and exited not even bothering to speak to me.

Narcissa leant down at my side and pressed his hand on my cheek. Her eyebrows were furrowed as her expression was riddled with worry.

I felt exhausted as she helped me to my feet and her eyes fell on my arm. Her jaw tightened, I knew she didn't have one as Draco had told me, but I also knew she would understand why I had to do this.

"Let me take you to Draco's room." She said in a soft voice. Linking her arm in mine as I was still uneasy on my feet, she led me up the stairs. She tried her best to avoid the death eaters roaming the halls and we both stayed silent.

We reached Draco's room and I sat down on the edge of the bed as she stood in the doorway.

"I'm glad you are alive, Amelia." She muttered; her eyebrows still furrowed. "However, I cannot say that you are safe."

I looked up at her with wide eyes. She looked even more lifeless and exhausted than the last time I saw her.

"Draco is training, he will be back in his room in a few hours."

"Training?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"For the war," She replied as if it was obvious. "You haven't heard?"

"I haven't heard much of anything in a long time." I responded honestly. "Thank you, Narcissa." I said as she made her way out and closed the door behind her.

I sat in silence for a moment, barely even believing that I was really back at Malfoy Manor.

My hands clutched onto the soft material of Draco's bed and I felt overwhelmed. I was exhausted and drained, and the bed was calling me, I hadn't slept in one for months.

As much as I wanted to climb straight in – I was so dirty and probably stunk. I slipped out of my clothes and made my way to the bathroom, switching on the shower and waiting for it to heat up. I refused to look in the mirror, knowing that if I did, I'd want to hide myself from Draco.

I stepped under the water and took a deep breath. The hot water kissed my skin as I felt like I was slipping into a dream. I scrubbed my entire body before reaching my arms. I stared at the mark on my arm and thought of scrubbing that off too, it was dirty. It held the deaths of so many innocent people with it.

Before I let myself overthink it too much, I looked back up. I wasn't one of them. I had to do this, for Draco.