chapter forty one

Draco had been spending a lot of time alone lately as he was attempting to fix the cabinet in the room of requirement. I didn't have much else to do other than sit in his dorm and finish assignments. I had so much spare time that I was doing Draco's assignments too however he did tend to 'tweak' them when he came back, or realistically he completely rewrote them as he's much smarter than me.

I was sat at his desk at around 8pm one evening and was beginning to grow bored of the DADA homework that Snape had set us. I twiddled my quill in-between my fingers completely distracted as my eyes began to scan the room. I noticed the small wooden box I'd put under the bed that was filled with letters from Sirius and bit my lip.

I curiously made my way over to the box and shuffled down to the floor, crossing my legs and placing the box on my lap. I sighed heavily before lifting the lid of the box and picking up the first letter.

November 4th, 1981

My dearest Amelia,

I had no idea yesterday morning would be the last I'd ever see of my darling girl. I hope these letters will come to you in good light as I want you to know the truth of who you really are.

On the 31st of October, I had to obliviate your mother in order to protect her from the Dark Lord after my best friend James Potter was killed. I was protecting you with my life, however ended up in Azkaban doing so. I wish for your safety, and truly believe you are in good hands of ones who love you dearly.

Potter and Lupin were furious when they discovered I'd gotten your mother pregnant. A muggle, in times like these. But I love your mother so dearly – I always will. I dreamt last night of a future with us all together, I was no longer locked up unfairly, I didn't have to hide my relationship and all three of us thrived together.

I'm going to write these letters until I get out of here. I want nothing more than for you to know the truth of mine and your mother's past.

I love you with all my heart.

I sat with my hands gripping on to the paper tightly, tears falling from my cheeks and soaking into the thin parchment. My breathing was uneasy, and I choked of a couple sobs every now and then.

I felt too overwhelmed to continue reading through the letters, this is all I could handle for tonight.

I took a deep breath and closed the box up, pushing it back under the bed and making my way to the bathroom to freshen myself up. I splashed some cold water on my face and soon heard the door opening and Draco entering.

I made my way out of the bathroom and watched him flail himself down on the bed with a sour expression.

"Everything okay?" I asked gently, making my way over to him and sitting crossed legged next to him.

"I can't figure out how to fix it." Draco grunted.

"You just need to be patient," I smiled connecting my hand with his. "I know you can do it."

"I have another plan." Draco mumbled, not looking at me however accepting my hand in his. "I'm going to curse him. There's a necklace, the Opal Necklace, it curses whoever touches it; but I'm going to have to use the imperious curse on a student to do so."

"What, who?" I questioned, concerned.

"I'm not sure yet."

"Is it dangerous?" I continued.

"Only if it's touched." Draco responded, closing his eyes as he was clearly quite exhausted.

"This doesn't sound like the best of ideas Draco." I mumbled, running my thumb over the back of his hand.

"Well what else do you suggest I do, Amelia?" Draco snapped. "I'm running out of time."

"Something that doesn't put students in danger." I responded back, not giving up.

"You don't think sneaking a group of death eaters into school is dangerous to students too?" He replied sarcastically.

"I was just- "I began but he quickly cut me off.

"Yeah well don't." Draco snapped, pulling his hand out of mine aggressively. "I already have enough on my conscious and you're just making me feel worse."

"Fine." I muttered, my voice quivering as tears threatened to leave my eyes. I stood to my feet abruptly and left the dorm room, slamming the door on my way out.

I was so sick of him being so hot and cold with me when all I did was try my best to be there for him. I walked through the common room, ignoring everyone as I left through the portrait and let the tears rolling softly down my cheeks.

I soon regretted my outfit choice of thin leggings and a sweater as I walked through the castle, the cold October breeze hitting my skin like sharp knives. The hallways were quiet and so I let my tears flow freely, sobbing every now and then.

Upon turning a sharp corner, I bumped into something tall and hard and ended up on the floor. I looked up and my eyes met with Cormac's, someone I hadn't seen in a very long time.

"Amelia – is everything okay?" He questioned when he noticed I was crying before grabbing my hand and helping me up.

"I'm fine, Cormac." I mumbled before attempting to pass him, however he held on to my shoulder softly to stop me.

"I'm sorry about what happened last year." Cormac admitted. I took a deep sigh before turning around to look at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"It's fine. We were both in the wrong, we clearly just weren't meant for each other." I muttered trying my hardest to be nice.

"Well I'm glad tha- "Cormac began but was quickly cut off.

"Back off, McLaggen." Draco spat before pushing Cormac's chest forcefully.

"Or what, Malfoy?" Cormac barked back, attempting to look threatening but Draco wasn't scared of him at all.

"I don't think you want to know what." Draco grabbed his shirt and pushed him harshly against the wall, Cormac looking slightly more intimidated.

"Draco, stop." I mumbled, grabbing his arm and trying to the best of my ability to pull him off of Cormac.

"You stay away from her." Draco muttered, pulling his wand out and pressing it against the top of Cormac's neck earning a small smirk from Cormac.

"Please, Draco." I begged, feeling completely exhausted from the rollercoaster of emotions I'd been on that day. I pulled on his sleeve harder causing him to look down at me and lock eyes with mine. His face softened as he saw how distraught I was, and he let go of his grip on Cormac. I went to grab his hand when we began walking away however didn't get the chance.

"All bark and no bite, Malfoy." Cormac said smugly. Draco wasted no time and turning straight back around and punching Cormac square in the nose, wiping Cormac's smug smile off of his face.

Cormac fell backwards slightly, cupping his nose with his hands. Draco grabbed my hand tightly and pulled me along back to his dorm.

"Was that all really necessary?" I said aggressively as we entered Draco's dorm once again.

"I hate him – why was he near you?" Draco responded, pacing slightly. "Actually, why did you even speak to him?"

"I didn't have a choice! You think I wanted to talk to him?" I pleaded, my hand massaging my forehead slightly as a headache was growing.

Draco didn't respond, he simple began unnecessarily throwing random objects around the room causing my emotions to run even wilder.

"Draco!" I screamed, attempting to stop him. "Draco, please." I sobbed in a small voice, tears streaming down my cheeks once again. He turned around to look at me after hearing the emotion in my voice and he softened once again, walking straight over to me and wrapping his arms around me. "I don't want you to feel like this anymore." I sobbed into his chest.