chapter nine

The final trial soon came around. I'd been spending most of my time with Cormac as Harry was being moodier than ever and was keeping secrets from me once again. All I knew is that he'd been having strange dreams, but he refused to tell me what about. I enjoyed my time with Cormac, but we didn't have much in common. Plus, he insisted on sitting next to me in every class we had together which been annoying as I usually sat with Hermione or Tracey. He was almost suffocating as he constantly had to be holding my hand or sucking my face off.

We were sat in our seats, everyone singing and cheering. Hermione was on my left and Cormac on my right. Every school was singing their own songs and holding their own flags as the four champions walked out. I looked over to Draco to see that even he was in high spirits for the final task but quickly lost my train of thought when Cormac put his arm over my shoulder.

Harry looked almost disheveled as he walked over to the entrance of the maze. Dumbledore explained the rules and announced that Moody had placed the cup somewhere deep inside of the maze. Cedric and Harry were to go first as they are tied in first place followed by Krum and Fleur.

"First person to touch the cup will be the winner!" Dumbledore finally announced as the crowd erupted into cheers. Dumbledore huddled the 4 champions around in a circle and began talking to them.

"So, Granger. Are you rooting for Potter or for Krum?" Cormac remarked to Hermione. Hermione looked a little taken a back and found it hard to find the words.

"Harry, obviously. Isn't that right, Hermione?" Ron joined in but looked a little hurt as Hermione gave him a stern look and didn't respond. Cormac smirked slightly, bringing his gaze back to the champions and I gave Hermione an awkward apologetic look.

The 4 champions walked up to where they were to enter, and Dumbledore counted down from three. The canon went off and Harry and Cedric quickly entered. The music soon continued as everyone cheered the champions off.

I was growing nervous however this task seemed a lot less dangerous than the previous two. At least in the last one I hadn't had the chance to get nervous as I was unconscious under water. Time was ticking incredibly slow; however, it wasn't too long before Fleur arrived back after being taken out of the maze. I didn't even care who won, I just wanted Harry back here safely. Krum quickly followed being removed from the maze with absolutely no explanation. I grew curious but didn't push it.

"Personally, I think Diggory has the trophy in the bag." Cormac remarked.

"Personally, I think you should keep your opinions to yourself." I muttered, this was the first time I'd shot any of Cormac's ridiculous statements down and I felt quite proud of myself, earning a smirk from both Ron and Hermione.

"Alright, alright. I was just saying." Cormac answered back, removing his arm from my shoulder as my eyebrows were still furrowed in a frown. At this exact moment I caught Draco staring at what had just happened and he was clearly trying to keep a smirk back himself. Draco was no better however as he, Crabbe and Goyle had all written signs out for Krum. Hilarious really considering Krum barely lasted ten minutes in there.

"What's taking them so long?" Hermione asked rhetorically with a sigh.

I could tell even Dumbledore was growing concerned as he pondered around in front of us. Spirits were still high, and everyone was still cheering and singing. It was almost completely dark by the time they arrived back with the trophy. We all stood and cheered as it seemed Harry and Cedric had tied and came back together. Trumpets started playing and Ron and Cedric's father both began running down towards them. However, this all came to an abrupt stop as Fleur walked closer to the two of them and let out a deafening scream. Dumbledore ran over to Harry and I soon came to realize that Harry was hovering over Cedric's unconscious body crying. Everything then began to happen in slow motion, I covered my mouth with my hand as I felt stuck in my body unable to move. Cormac grabbed my hand, but I quickly shoved it away from me.

"He's back, Voldemort's back!" Harry sobbed as everyone stood silently. Dumbledore tried desperately to remove Harry from Cedric's body but failed miserably. "Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him. Not there." Harry continued to sob as Dumbledore grabbed his face and attempted to comfort him.

Realization hit everyone like a rock as Cedric's dad pushed his way through the ministers and professors.

"Let me through!" He yelled desperately. "That's my son! That's my boy!" He sobbed. Harry moved away to allow Cedric's father to see his sons lifeless body. Hermione threw her arms around me as I cried into her shoulder and she did mine. Moody grabbed Harry and began to take him away from the scene. Everyone stood in respectful silence watching Mr. Diggory scream at the loss of his son. I with drawled myself from Hermione's arms and when I turned back around Draco was stood beside me. Cormac tried to hold back his glare to attempt to be respectful, but I didn't care. I threw myself into Draco's arms and continued to sob into his chest. I felt overwhelmed and desperately wanted to see my brother to ask what had happened.

We were all escorted back to our common rooms by professors and prefects meaning I was separated from Ron, Hermione and Cormac. Draco held my hand the whole way, but we didn't converse at all. Silent tears continued to fall down my cheeks as we all walked down to the dungeons. Everyone was silent, not even Pansy made any remarks which I was thankful for. Before walking up to our dorms Draco gave me a quick hug and wished me goodnight. Once we finally arrived in our room I broke down once again now allowing Tracey to comfort me this time.

It seemed that everyone was affected by what had happened immensely and I didn't blame them. I just wished to see my brother and prayed he hadn't been hurt.