chapter fifty five

I fell asleep quickly after pulling one of Draco's clean shirts over my head and wrapping myself in his duvet. I allowed his scent to overwhelm me, I had been trying my hardest to remember it for months and it hit me all at once.

It calmed me so much that I drifted off into a peaceful sleep. One of the most peaceful sleeps I had had in a long time considering I was in a Manor riddled with murderous death eaters.

It had almost felt like I had never left, but at the same time it felt like it had been way too long – which it had.

I was giddy as I thought of Draco walking into the room, all mine once again, but I couldn't ignore the guilt piling up in the back of my head. I didn't actually know whether Harry or Hermione would be worried about me, and if they were, they failed to show it previously. But the image of Ron hearing of my disappearance popped in my head and it was heart breaking, but then again – he left me first.

Before I could think too much about it, I heard the door click open and my heart jumped enough to wake me up. I sat up abruptly, my eyes connecting with the icy grey ones I'd missed so dearly.

He stood at the door, his face softening as he looked down at me. I stood to my feet, so we were parallel with one another, neither of us knowing what to do with ourselves.

He had grown so much, his features more defined and yet he looked almost lifeless.

We both let go of a breath we didn't realize we were holding in as he stepped forward towards me and placed his palms on this side of my face and studied me – as if he didn't believe I was actually there.

"Amelia, I- "He began, stumbling on his words as he didn't break eye contact.

"I missed you so much, Draco." I finally let out, wrapping my arms around his neck. He almost laughed, picking me up as I wrapped my legs around his hips.

"I'm so glad that you're safe," He mumbled into the crook of my neck, still holding me tightly. "That you're alive."

I withdrew slightly so that my face was in front of his, I rested my forehead against his and brushed my thumb along his lips, studying all his features as if something was going to be missing.

"Promise me you'll never leave me again." I mumbled, looking up at him.

"Never again, I promise." He muttered before connecting the space between us and pushing his lips against mine.

It still felt like the first time. 

He disconnected our kiss and placed me down on the bed before kicking off his shoes and sitting against the headboard. I quickly climbed on top of his lap facing him, my bare legs resting at either side of his.

I had been numb for so long and all of a sudden it felt as though I had been ignited once more. I connected his hand with mine, studying his fingers before fiddling with the promise ring I had gifted him so long ago.

"You kept it?" I smiled up at him.

"I wouldn't dream of taking it off." He muttered, bringing his hand up to my face and brushing a few stray hairs away from my face.

"I was nervous." I admitted, looking down.

"Nervous for what?"

"In case you didn't love me anymore." I looked up at him, his jaw tightening at my words. I knew how stupid it was, but it had been over a year and I had no idea what he had been up to.

"I love you more than ever before," Draco said quietly, not breaking eye contact. "I thought about you every day, I was so worried."

"Then why did you leave me?"