chapter thirty six

Things were looking slightly up since Draco and I made up. We were in one of his many gardens, hidden between bushes. With a blanket beneath us, Draco lay with his arms behind his head as I sat next to him with my legs crossed.

"Are you looking forward to going back to Hogwarts?" I asked which made his small smile turn into more of a glare.

"Couldn't think of anything worse." He grumbled causing me to chuckle slightly at how whiny he is. "Are you?"

"Yes." I smirked. "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I'm here it's just awfully grey and depressing."

"Well get used to it." Draco smirked, looking away from me and closing his eyes as the sun soaked into his skin.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"Because I'm going to marry you some day." Draco said slightly quieter, still not opening his eyes as a smile burst through my face. My heart ached at the comment and I couldn't find the words to reply as I giggled at how cheeky it was.

"Look at you being all soppy." I teased, maneuvering myself so my head was resting on his chest. He opened his eyes to look at me and gave me a hurt expression in return.

"I was trying to be nice." Draco groaned and rolled his eyes.

"It was very nice." I smiled genuinely. I climbed on top of his so that my legs were either side of him and so I was straddling his hips. "You'd really like to live here forever though?"

"Yes." Draco responded, connecting both of our hands. "With children."

"Children?!" I exclaimed jokingly. "Don't get too ahead of yourself."

"Fine I'll find someone else to marry." He teased, rolling his eyes.

"Hmm, you might find it difficult to find someone who'd put up with you." I giggled earning a hurt expression in response causing me to laugh harder. Eventually he gave in and began laughing with me, sending ridiculous amounts of happiness throughout my body. Draco's smile lit up my entire world.

I slowly bent down and planted a kiss on his lips, feeling as warm and as passionate as the first time. However, after a few moments we began to hear loud noises coming from the front of the manor. I released the kiss and stared down at him with furrowed eyebrows, confused. He returned a worried look as he sat up with me.

The sky turned dark; the sun being covered by an odd-looking cloud in the sky. My eyes soon focused to see it was in fact a skull with a serpent leaving its mouth.

"You need to get inside, now." Draco said urgently.

"What's going on?" I questioned, not wanting to leave his side.

"Now, Amelia." He ushered me as we both stood up. "Go to my room."

"But, Draco- "I attempted to fight.

"Please, Amelia." Draco begged, looking at me with desperate eyes. "Now."

My heartbeat quickened as Draco's jaw tightened.

"Okay, I-I love you." I mumbled, feeling lightheaded as I had no idea what was going on.

"I love you, too." He responded, kissing the top of my head. "Now please, go."

I began rushing back to the manor and entered through the back door. My breathing quickened as I began over thinking about whether or not I should have left Draco. I ran up the stairs and into Draco's room, quickly rushing over to the window to see what was going on.

I choked on my breath at the sight in front of me, quickly letting out a dry sob. Voldemort stood at the entrance to Malfoy Manor as one by one, cloaked death eaters appeared. I watched as both Draco and his mother walked up to the group, Narcissa's arm linked with Draco's.

My palm quickly covered my mouth as I watched the group enter Malfoy Manor and I felt sick to my stomach. My mind was all over the place, I had no clue what to do. I walked towards the bedroom door and quietly walked towards the staircase, hiding behind a wall so no one could see me.

"-very special in line for you, Draco." I caught the end of a sentence from a voice I barely recognized but assumed straight away it was none other than Voldemort himself due to the pure evil in his tone.

"You should be honored, Draco." Bellatrix squeaked loudly.

Their voices became muffled as they entered a room and closed the door. I took a deep breath before walking back into the bedroom and sat at the foot of the bed, waiting anxiously for Draco to return.

It felt like hours; however, I had no idea how long he had actually been gone as my mind was running wild and couldn't focus on anything other than him.

Eventually, Draco walked through the bedroom door. However, I didn't feel any relief as I watch him instantly break down in front of me. He was pale as ice, his hair a mess and large bags under his eyes. I walked up to him and threw my arms around him, allowing him to sob into my shoulder.

We didn't share any words but somehow ended up on the bed, me laying on my back as Draco's head lay on my chest. I comforted him silently by running my fingers through his hair and down his back. I kept an eye on the window, waiting patiently to see the Dark Lord leave as I assumed there would be no talking until he was gone.

Draco's breathing began to calm down as I ran my hands through his hair and kissed him gently on the top of his head. I watched as Voldemort and the death eaters left the manor, before turning into a dark black smoke and disappearing.

"They're gone." I mumbled, sitting up and making him sit up too. I realized how much pain he was going through, however I refused to be left in the dark ever again. "You need to tell me what's going on, Draco."

"I-I don't want you to hate me." Draco's voice came out small as he stumbled on his words.

"Nothing could make me stop loving you." I replied honestly, staring into his eyes and bringing my hands up to either side of his face.

"He's given me a task to do." Draco mumbled, looking down.

"What sort of task?"

"He wants me to kill Dumbledore." Draco spoke quickly, before looking away from me and pulling up his sleeve. My heart broke at the sight of the dark mark on Draco's forearm. I gasped quietly before covering my mouth with my hand in shock. I felt sick to my stomach, on the verge of tears. "If I don't do it, he'll kill us both and – and my mother."