chapter forty eight

draco's pov

I knew that tomorrow had to be the night. After sending an owl to Malfoy Manor, I made my way to Snape's office.

I didn't feel nervous or scared anymore, my whole mind and body felt numb as I strolled through the corridors. I passed many familiar faces and yet not one of them knew what was to come in a matter of hours.

I arrived at Snape's office and knocked heavily on the door.

"Enter." He announced in his usual depressing tone. He stood to his feet when he noticed it was me who entered. "Mr. Malfoy."

"I need a sleeping draught and quick." I muttered. "Quite a strong one."

"In need of a decent night's sleep before tomorrow?" Snape questioned me before making his way over to a shelf of labelled potions.

"No." I mumbled. "Actually, I'm in need of one that will last longer."

"And what might that be for?" He continued to pry.

"For Amelia." I responded. His head turned to me with his eyebrows furrowed. "I'm leaving her here; she won't be joining us back at the Manor after the deed is done. However, I'm afraid that will be exceedingly difficult if she is awake."

"I see." Snape didn't question me any further, he probably realized why I was doing this. He brought the sleeping draught over to me in a small teacup. "Give her this, make sure she drinks it all."

I nodded before quickly turning and exiting his office. It was nearing 8pm as I made my way to the common room and then into our dorm. I opened the door and saw Amelia sat focused on a book in her pajamas and my heart sank slightly. She was too good for this world and she was definitely too good for me. She looked up at me with a smile.

"For me?" She asked, pointing at the cup in my hands.

"For you." I chuckled nervously, handing her the cup and watched her face fill with joy causing my body to recoil slightly with guilt. I hopped in the shower and turned the heat all the way up, allowing the water to burn my skin.

I got ready for bed and joined Amelia under the covers, my arms instantly wrapping around her small frame as she rested her head on my chest.

"Tomorrow's the day." I mumbled thoughtlessly. Amelia looked up at me with raised eyebrows.

"Are you prepared?" She questioned me, to which I answered with a small nod as I didn't want to discuss it in the last few moments I had with her.

"I love you more than you'll ever know, Amelia." I sighed, kissing the top of her head slowly and taking in her scent as much as possible.

"I love you too, Draco." She yawned, before her eyelids fell heavy and she dozed off to sleep.

I barely slept that night. I spent too much time taking in Amelia's every detail, tracing my fingertips over her plump lips and playing with her hair. I tried to distract myself from what I knew was happening when I woke up, but it was all I could think about.

I knew I would feel incomplete without her by my side, but I couldn't continue being selfish like this. The evil acts of not only the dark lord but the people who surrounded him were becoming too much for even I to handle and I shouldn't have involved her in any of it.

I wanted to keep her as safe as possible however now that everyone knew she not only had a muggle mother, but Sirius Black was her father, who was known to go against the dark lord, my home was the last place she'd be safe.

I didn't bother going to class the next morning and instead laid with her in my arms for as long as possible, savoring every second she was with me.

I eventually dragged myself up and dressed myself in an all-black suit. My jaw tightened at the sight of Amelia sprawled out on the bed, soft breaths leaving her lips peacefully. I walked over to her and bent down next to the bed, stroking the side of her face and pressing one last soft kiss against her lips.

I sat down to leave her a note before getting distracted by the harsh tapping on the window from my owl.

I opened the window and took the small piece of parchment from him, noticing straight away it was from my mother with information on the events that would unfold later that night.

I quickly finished the note to Amelia before debating with myself on whether or not to send one to Ron. I had no idea how that night was going to go, or if people would assume Amelia was with me. I needed to know that someone was looking out for her and the only way I could imagine her being safe was with the family she grew up with.

I sprawled out a small message on a piece of parchment before tying it to the owl and sending it off to Ron.

'Look after her.'

I sighed, running my hands through my hair before taking one last look at Amelia and making my way to the room of requirement.