chapter twenty three

It was difficult to describe how I was feeling to Draco when we had gotten back from Christmas break. I wanted to tell him everything about Sirius, about Harry – everything. But it would just prove myself as untrustworthy and that is the last thing I wanted. So, I tried my best to keep it all in and Draco actually helped distract me a lot.

We hadn't been seeing as much of each other as usual as quidditch practice was on almost every night. Since I was the only one out of all my friends who wasn't on the team, I'd been spending a lot of time studying for my O.W.Ls and was feeling quite productive.

It was the night before the Slytherin vs Gryffindor game, which just so happened to also be on my birthday, and I was laying in Draco's bed after not seeing him all day. I didn't mind that my birthday shared the same day as the quidditch game, I was actually looking forward to it.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" I quizzed Draco, my head laying on his chest as his fingers played with my hair.

"Not at all," He boasted causing a smile to erupt on my face. "I know we're going to win."

"And whys that?" I smirked. The loud February storms were extremely audible, but it made me feel even more comfortable in Draco's arms.

"Because it's your birthday." Draco said cockily. "I can't let us lose on your birthday."

"Is that my birthday present?" I giggled, moving up so I was now straddling his lap and I connected our hands.

"Exactly." He joked back. I couldn't contain my smile as I tilted my head and admired his gorgeous face, feeling luckier than ever.

I fell asleep that night in his arms, feeling safe and happy.

The next morning, I awoke to Draco planting multiple kisses all over my face.

"Happy birthday!" He mumbled between kisses as I giggled and pushed him off of me.

"Thanks, I'm officially older than you." I giggled before pecking him on the lips.

"Want your present now?" Draco smirked, sitting up. I nodded, copying his actions and resting my back against his headboard. "It's not much."

"I don't care, you didn't even have to bother." I smiled genuinely at him before kissing his cheek. He pulled out a parcel and I thanked him before taking it from him. I opened it slowly and inside revealed a Slytherin quidditch jersey that read 'Malfoy' and the number '21' on the back. "21 is the date that I asked you to be my girlfriend." Draco smiled, looking down at his lap whilst clearly blushing.

"You're so soppy, Malfoy." I smirked before wrapping my arms around his neck in a hug. "I love it, thank you so much."

I left Draco to go get ready for the day and for the game. I knew that if I wore the jersey today, Ron and Harry would freak out. Not only because it quite clearly had Draco written all over it, but because they were also playing today and from what I'd gathered they were both ridiculously nervous. However, if I didn't wear it, I felt like it would be disheartening for Draco. I furrowed my eyebrows before sliding the jersey over my head and adding a denim jacket over the top. It was the middle of February anyways so I was sure no one would question it.

"Happy birthday!" Tracey cheered, exiting the bathroom and giving me a hug.

"Thanks," I smiled. "Nervous for the game?"

"A little," She responded honestly. "I'm sure we'll smash it though."

"I'm sure you will too." I smirked. "And if you don't, you're a terrible best friend." I giggled.

The match soon came around and I was sat in the stalls with the rest of the Slytherin's that weren't on the team. Tensions were high as everyone was chanting and cheering for opposing teams. I sat nervously awaiting the game to start.

Soon enough, the game began. My eyes were on Draco the whole time as Harry and him both fought to catch the snitch, my heart racing as I could clearly see the insults being thrown back and forth. The winter breeze was not doing me any favors as my hair kept blowing in front of my face, blocking my sight.

Suddenly, the Slytherin stalls all erupted into the same chant.

"Weasley cannot save a thing,
He cannot block a single ring,
That's why Slytherins all sing:
Weasley is our King.

Weasley was born in a bin
He always lets the Quaffle in
Weasley will make sure we win
Weasley is our King.

Weasley is our King,
He always lets the Quaffle in
Weasley is our King."  The Slytherin's chanted in unison, causing my heart to drop into the pit of my stomach.

I glanced over at Ron who'd face had dropped just as much as mine had as he seemed to lose confidence completely. Before he or anyone had the chance to react, my eyes darted over to Draco. The Slytherin's erupted in applause as he appeared to be holding the snitch in his hand with a smirk. I stood to my feet with a smile, forgetting what had just had completely. I ran down from the stall to meet him and the other Slytherins on the pitch who were all surrounding him and cheering.

I ran up to him and jumped into his arms, planting a kiss on his lips not caring at all about anyone else's opinions in that moment.

I jumped down from his arms and smiled as the team lifted him up into the air, chanting and cheering. I glanced over to the Gryffindor team and saw Ron, Harry and Cormac all staring at me with an almost disgusted look on their face, but I didn't think twice about it.

Soon enough the fun had died down a bit, and we had all decided to go back to the common room for a celebratory party.

"I'm gonna get changed in the changing rooms, I'll meet you back at the common room?" Draco smiled down at me.

"Sure, I'll see you there." I smiled back giving him a quick kiss before making my way off of the pitch.