chapter forty four

I woke up on Christmas morning with a heavy heart. We hadn't gone back to Malfoy manor for Christmas as Draco felt as though he was too far behind with fixing the cabinet. I felt deeply for Narcissa as she were to spend Christmas without her son and her husband, and a house filled with death eaters.

Draco agreed to spend the afternoon with me as everyday he left me to my own devises most days whilst he spent his time in the room of requirement. We'd been avoiding the great hall at most costs as Draco felt like the golden trio were on to him, so it would be nice to finally eat a proper meal in peace.

We decided to meet in the great hall at 6pm and the time was nearing so I hopped in the shower and quickly got ready, throwing on the oversized Slytherin quidditch sweater Draco gifted me on my birthday and some black leggings before making my way down. There were only a handful of students that stayed for Christmas, none of them being Slytherin. Draco was already sat at the table when I made my way over to him and he gave me a small smile as I approached him.

"Merry Christmas." I smirked before kissing his cheek softly and sitting down next to him.

"Merry Christmas." He responded back to me, his eyes lighting up slightly.

It wasn't long before we finished up our dinner and made our way back to our dorm room. I was convinced our stomachs had shrunk as we had bigger priorities than eating and when we did, we got either full or distracted very quickly. I had noticed the toll it had taken on Draco's appearance. His skin was even paler if that was possible and there were shadows on his face below his eyes and his cheek bones. He was still the most handsome man alive to me, however I still recognized he didn't look healthy.

Draco sat down on the small sofa in the corner of the room as I grabbed a bottle of red wine that Tracey gave me before she left with two wine glasses. I poured the dark red liquid into the cups before making my way over to Draco with a blanket and snuggling into his side.

"I feel bad for not getting you a present." Draco sighed before taking a sip of the wine.

"Don't, I know how occupied you've been. I don't need a present." I admitted as my fingertips traced his chest over the black turtleneck he was wearing. "How's the cabinet coming along?"

"I think I'm almost there." He sighed. "I just don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing."

"How come?" I questioned him as he took another big sip.

"If I don't do this, my whole family will be killed – and so will you." He began, not looking me in the eye. "But if I do... my whole life will change. I will change - no one will look at me the same."

"Draco..." I responded, placing my glass down on the table and resting my hand on his cheek so he would look at me. "I'm so proud of you."

"Stop, Amelia. You're just- "He began.

"No, Draco." I cut him off. "I am so proud of you my heart hurts. You have no idea how brave you have to be to do something like this, and here you are."

"This is nothing to be proud of." Draco muttered before his eyes glanced down at his forearm, but he quickly averted his gaze. I sighed heavily before gently grabbing his arm and pushing his sleeve up.

"This doesn't change who you are, Draco." I whispered before bringing his arm up and placing soft butterfly kisses all over the horrid image on his arm. "You did this out of love and to me that speaks volumes."

I could see how broken he was behind those icy grey eyes, but they softened at my words. I wanted to protect him from everything and anything, but I knew I simply couldn't, and this was something that he had to do.

"I'll love you forever, Draco." I smiled at him before quickly connecting our lips. I wanted to show him how loved he is every day and the last thing I wanted was for him to ever feel alone.

As things began getting heated, there was a tap on the window. I furrowed my eyebrows as Draco stood to walk over and open the window, which revealed his family eagle owl with a letter. He grabbed the parchment and walked back over to me.

"It's from my mother." He announced as he sat down and ripped the envelope open. His eyes scanned the letter before his face dropped slightly.

"What's wrong?" I questioned.

"A group of death eaters burnt down the Weasley's house tonight." Draco responded quietly with a guilty expression on his face.

"What? I- is everyone safe?" I pushed further, a sick feeling growing in my stomach.

"No one's harmed – they only wanted Potter." Draco continued. My throat grew dry as a sob escaped my lips. I threw myself in to Draco's arms and he quickly engulfed me. Waves of regret flourished through me as my childhood home was now gone and I had left it and the family inside of it so mindlessly. I spent the rest of the night sobbing into Draco's arms.

sorry this chapter is short i just wanted to add some fluff before things get too serious lmao