T W E N T Y- T H R E E

Alana Salvatore

" He is fine now. We just have to wait until he wakes up. " Steven, my father in laws said in a low voice.

I nodded my head. I was now back in the family hospital and finally allowed inside the room that they had moved him to. The surgery went very well but he was predicted to be in a mini coma as he was hit really hard in the head.

Five stitches on the side of his forehead, shot twice on the same right arm, one on the side of his stomach, and one on his leg but my husband managed to survive and took down his betrayer.

Seth Salvatore was really the strongest and most dangerous man in Britain.

" You have been here for two days, Alana. You need to take care of the Vipers leader that had been sitting in the dungeon waiting for interrogation. " Steven said softly patting my back.

" You can take care of that. I want to be with him. " I murmured kissing Seth's knuckle.

" You're the Don's wife. While he's gone, you need to step up and take over until he comes back. " he said.

I looked at my lifeless husband on the white bed with tubes attached to his body. How could I take over what you been trained to do all your life? You had always been good at your work, but how could I take after your step? I knew close to nothing about what you did.

" I-I can't. " I said.

" Yes you can. " Steven said assuring me.

Did he really trust me with the empire he and his ancestors had built for century?

" I will never be able to handle what he does. I'm not capable of taking over the mafia. I know close to nothing about that, Steve. " I protested.

" You were born for this, Alana. " he whispered.

What? I was not born for this. I was raised by my father to be a strong woman and by my mother to be a perfect lady and wife, not to take over my husband's mafia when he was ill.

" You and Seth go way way back. You think I just went and picked a rich girl with high education to wed with my son ? " he chuckled.

" What do you mean? " I asked slightly confused.

" It finally time to tell you the whole story, is it? " he smiled.

" Let's go and talk in my study. " he said pulling me out of my seat.

I gave Seth a kiss on his cheek before following his father out of the room. With his big hand rested on the small of my back, Steven Salvatore walked me to his study in silence.

I made no attempt to break the silence or started small conversation on our journey to his study as he seemed to be in a deep thought, perhaps trying to think how he should tell me his story.

My gaze was on him the whole entire time, barely looking at where we were going. His brown hair was almost fading away as the silver grey ones took over, the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes when he smiled and the few lines on his forehead, Steven had been aging amazingly he still held his strong built body and managed to look quite handsome for a man his age, he was indeed no doubt an older version of Seth.

If this was how Seth would be aging, I couldn't complain at all.

" Take a seat. " he motioned to the seat in front of his gigantic desk. I nodded and did as he told.

" Harris Carsten and I were college best friend, lived in the same dorm and shared the same interests in guns and dangerous missions. We did all sort of stupid reckless college kids activities. " Steven smiled as he revived his old memory with my father which I never aware of.