Chapter 1

"The world is a mysterious wonder. Filled with various creatures that fill the vast skies and mountains. We call these critters Yokai. They're beings that cause chaos and mischief. Most are considered evil or were created through the bad vibes of the deceased. But I don't think they're all that bad"

"Really grandpa?" The small boy moved his head to the side. He was sitting on a chair next to the bed. The light shone trough the window onto his face but he didn't seem to bother.

"Really" He smiled warmly.

"You see Chan, when I was around 8 years old, kind of like your age, I was riding my bike by the river and fell into it. Sadly I didn't know how to swim and was slowly giving up on the thought of living"

"But suddenly, a human like fox jumped in and got me out of there in one piece. I was truly grateful" He chuckled. "I couldn't say a proper thanks because the unknown being immediately left, but I spent the next few years trying to learn about those mysterious creatures, and boy was I surprised" He laughed a little and Chan smiled.

"At first I thought they were the impossible. The bad spirits of the earth. But every time I thought of that I remembered what that fox did for me. Apparently they hate cold water- and don't rea- like-" He started to cough. Chan quickly changed into an expression of worry.

"Chan why don't you go and get me some water?"

"Yes grandpa!"

The little boy ran out of the room with a cup.

"You know he'll have to know this someday right?"

"I don't want him to see what's next"

The day was dark and somber. Chan clinged to his mom's long black dress. He was wearing a black suit that covered his small body from head to toe and had a tie around his neck. The whole funeral had ended and it was now noon. The sun rays were only seen between the clouds carefully removing them to show more of its beauty.

He wandered around the graveyard. After making sure he was finally alone, he bursted into tears. He tried to cover his eyes with his hands but they were too small to cover everything.

Suddenly, he hears a loud ringing on his ear. He turns around to find a giant skeleton crouching down to his level. He stared at the creature.

"Why are you crying?" The skeleton asked. His boney figure being shadowed by the light.

"My grandpa died" He said while sobbing.

"Everyone dies at some point, they won't stay in this world for too long"

"I guess..." Chan wasn't comforted in the least. He tried to hold in his tears but was slowly failing.

When the giant saw this he booped the boy with one of his fingers.

"Crying is ok you know. If you want the others to know how you feel you should tell them. They won't know you're not ok with just hints. Let them know"

Chan knew the being had a point. He thanked the skeleton and ran back to the funeral home to talk to his mom about his sighting. While doing so he cried until there was no tomorrow. She hugged him tightly and stroked his back. He slowly smiled.