Chapter 12

"Vernon, how are you feeling?" Joshua asked the younger. He had heard thunder and immediately dropped everything to find Vernon. The other must be undergoing change and only Joshua could settle it down for a couple of more hours. Besides, he didn't want Chan to find out.

   "Joshua...it hurts" Vernon said while watching the scales in his skin slowly crawl out. They were ripping it apart causing the skin to burn.

   "Vernon, open the door, let me help you!" Joshua practically begged. "Vernon please! We don't have much time!" The change was indeed very quick, most importantly now that Vernon was growing older with age. Vernon opened the door and Joshua stumbled in, closing the door as fast as he could.

   "Stay calm ok? It's just like the other times" Joshua said in a clam tone. However, he himself felt in the verge of panicking. Joshua quickly placed a hand in Vernon's forehead and muttered some words. A light shone and the scales began to retract.

   "Vernon are you ok in there?" They heard Chan say. (Come on, come on!) Joshua thought. The light faded and Vernon fell into Joshua's arms. The scales had fully disappeared, all that was left to do now was to wake Vernon up.

   "Vernon, sweety, you need to wake up" Joshua said as nicely as he could to hide his panic while slightly tapping the other on the cheek. Vernon slowly regained consciousness. He jolted up.

   "Shhh it's ok, I'm here, everything's going to be ok" Joshua said bringing Vernon's head to lay in his legs and to caress the hair of the younger. He saw how the blonde styled down.

   "Vernon, are you really ok? It's been 15 minutes since you entered..." They both heard Chan say.

   "You need to go out there. Chan is waiting for you" Vernon looked at Joshua with worry.

   "Are you sure? Is the transformation going to be held back for a while?"

   Joshua smiled warmly. "It is" He stood up. "Dinner is going to be ready soon. For now, you'll get out of the restroom before me so Chan doesn't become more suspicious than he already is" Vernon nodded and got out of the room. Joshua could hear the other two talk and Vernon trying to explain the situation. After that he heard footsteps and a door getting shut. 

   He sighed in relief. Vernon often tended to transform in the house during raining season, not that it bothered Joshua, but when he did turn it would most likely cause a bit of chaos to their surroundings. Living with a Mizuchi* wasn't as easy as Joshua first thought.

   Joshua walked out of the restroom and headed to the kitchen. He continued doing whatever he was doing before he ran to the restroom in panic. After some time, he finished the food and went to Vernon's room. Joshua knocked on the door.

   "Come in!" He heard Vernon say. Joshua opened the door.

   "Dinner is ready!" Both boys stood up with a cheer and followed Joshua to the kitchen.

   "I hope you enjoy the food Chan" Joshua said while sitting down.

   "I think I will. It looks delicious!" Chan said picking up his chopsticks. He took a bit and closed his eyes. A smile formed in his stuffed cheeks. (Cute!) Joshua thought.

   "It tastes really good!"

   "I'm glad you like it" Joshua smiled. They continued eating and talking about random things. Once they finished, Chan excused him and headed home. Joshua and Vernon waved him goodbye and closed the door once Chan was far away.

   "We really need to study the weather more" Vernon said in a sigh.

   "We really do" Joshua said with a tired look. "Luckily for us, I know someone who will help us with that"

   [(*)Mizuchi- Is a type of Japanese dragon or legendary serpent-like creature, either found in aquatic habitat or otherwise connected to water. ]