[20] Good morning

This morning I woke early. Usually, I'd roll right back over and go to sleep, but with Bella's car still needing to be fixed I decided to get into it early, so she can be on her way. After getting dressed in some sweat pants and removing my shirt, I headed across the hall and checked in on Bella. Much to my surprise, she's still here. I'm almost surprised she didn't wake up in the middle of the night, freak out over what happened and leave.

Once I'd checked she was okay, I made my way back into the garage and began work on the Mustang once more.

...

I've been working on the car for a few hours when the delicious aroma of bacon, eggs, and toast hit my nose. I put the spanner down and make my way back into the house. I follow the smell, which of course leads me to the kitchen. It's here I find Bella serving up two plates of exactly what I'd smelt; buttered toast, bacon, and eggs.

"What's all this?" I ask with a grin.

She looks up at me and smiles. "It's breakfast and I was just about to bring it to you," she pushes the plate towards me. "I wanted to say thank-you for fixing my car, so I figured I'd cook for you," she then looks around the kitchen awkwardly. "Oh, you don't mind right? I kind of just helped myself, I probably should've asked."

I take in her expression and wonder where the sudden change in confidence had come from, but assure her anyway. "No, not at all. Thank you I'm starving," I make my way over to the table with the plate, knife and fork. "Shall we sit at the table?"

"Sure," she follows after me and sits down next to me, as I begin to dig in, truly starving.

"How's it going with the car?" She asks.

"It's proving a little harder than I thought it would be, I might have to keep it for a bit longer, but I'll get it sorted."

"As long as you don't mind? I don't want you to put yourself out if you don't have the time."

"I'm happy to do it, it's already half done."

"Jex, about last night," she sighs softly.

"I know, it shouldn't have happened," I too sigh softly.

"I just wish things were different."

"So do I," I nod sadly and push my plate away, no longer feeling hungry.

"I still really want us to be friends, but I don't even know if that's possible. Not only because you can't be friends with the enemy, but because my feelings for you are already way past the friends stage," s1he admits.

"You're right, I just don't think us being friends is a possibility. I think we should end this now on good terms, and maybe we'll see each other in a turf war. I promise I won't shoot you," I attempt to make a joke.

She sighs, her eyes fill with sadness and she looks back up at me. "Same," a stray tear slides down her cheek and she wipes it away quickly, then stands to her feet, her food hardly touched. "I uh, I might go. You can keep the car as long as you need it. I'll tell my father it's being fixed by a friend. When it's done you can drop it off somewhere and I'll come and collect it."

"Okay," I nod. "I can do that."

"Thank you so much for fixing it and for letting me stay last night; and for, well, you know."

"The sex?" I smirk.

"Mmm, that," she giggles softly, finally a hint of happiness in her eyes, if only for a moment. "I'll see you," she gives me a small wave and grabs her bag off the kitchen bench, headed for the door.

"Bella wait," I call after her, as I stand to my feet and follow her. I touch her arm gently and she turns to look at me, her face streamed with tears. "Come here," in a second she's in my arms, her head on my chest, as she snuggles in close, her arms tight around me.