[52] Ace Shelby

Jex's POV:

Standing over the small crib on wheels (which is placed next to Bella's hospital bed), I look down at our son Ace, who is wrapped in a white blanket.

Never in my life have I seen anything so perfect. He's tiny, with a full head of dark hair like mine. I know it's really too soon to say just yet, but he looks a lot like me, definitely more of me than Bella (at this stage anyway). But if he gets her personality we'll be onto a good thing. Because if he's anything like me, he'll be a hot head.

He's been in the world for an hour now and other than crying, when he took his first breath, he's been asleep ever since.

Sara arrived at the hospital at around 2 am. Apparently Andre saw the text message and woke her up to tell her about it, which surprises me. She wasn't in the room while Bella gave birth, but she was right outside the door incase either of us needed her. She was happy for the moment to be just the two of us, the Doctors and Nurses helping to bring Ace into the room, and for us to be the first people he met.

After Ace was washed off with a damp wash cloth and wrapped in his blanket, Sara came in to meet him. She was just as smitten as we were.

Bella did so well, she never once complained about the pain, she just took it like a boss and squeezed my hand with all of her might. Having delivered Ace into the world with no pain relief. I'll be honest, I'll never understand how women do it. They carry a child for nine months  then they give birth and bring them into the world. One thing I know for sure is that the female body is strong and Bella is one of the strongest women I know.

"Is he still asleep?" Bella questions, as she makes her way out of her personal bathroom, now dressed once more and looking refreshed.

"He's out like a light," I nod.

She makes her way over and wraps her arm around me, peering over my shoulder, looking down at our son. "He's perfect isn't he?"

"He is beyond perfect," I reply, as I gently touch his tiny hand with my pointer finger. He moves his tiny hand and wraps it around my finger loosely.

"Awww," she gushes. "Look at him. Daddy's boy already," she smiles up at me.

I turn my body toward her and wrap my arms around her. "You did so good baby, I'm so proud of you."

"Every second of pain was worth it. We've started our family."

"Started?" I raise a brow.

"Well we're not complete yet. But we've made a start."

"Are you saying you'd go through all of that again?" I ask baffled.

"Of course I will, we both want a big family."

"Mmm, say that again in a couple nights time," the nurse grins, as she makes her way into the room with our files. "Both of you have a clean bill of health, you're able to leave when you're ready. However, you can have the room for the night if you wish."

"No, I think I'd like to go home," Bella answers with a smile. "I want to be at home in my own space and have people visit."

"I think that's always a good idea. But you know, if anything happens you can always come back."

"Of course," Bella nods.

"I'll get the doctor to come in and talk to you about things to look out for. Then we can sign off on your discharge papers."

"Thank you doctor."

...

It took a couple of hours to get the discharge paperwork filled out, but finally I got Bella and Ace home. Because Ace is so small he'll be in a small crib, similar to what he had at the hospital, for the first few weeks. I like the idea of it being small, so we can move him around the house with us as well. I know that's what baby monitors are for, but I feel better being able to see him and having him close.