[23] Baby Ricci

"How's your lip feeling this morning?" I ask Jex, as we sit across the kitchen table from one another, eating our breakfast.

"It's not feeling too bad, thank you Dr. Ricci," he grins.

"I'm glad, and if you need any further medical treatment you know where to find me," I wink across the table.

"Mmm, in my bed usually," he smirks.

"Oh stop that," I roll my eyes and take the last bite of my toast. "What are your plans for today?"

"I have to go back into work and make sure everything is all good with the boys. But after that, I was thinking maybe we could go out for dinner?"

"Out for dinner? As in out in public?"

"Well yes, out in public. But not around here obviously. I made a call last night and booked us a table at that new restaurant they built in East Cliff."

"You did?" I smile widely.

"Yes I did, and I take that smile of yours as a yes?" He grins.

"Of course, we haven't been on a date since our first date."

"Hey, hey now, who said it was a date?" He smirks.

Throwing my rolled-up napkin at him playfully I stand to my feet. "You're becoming a real pain in the butt, you know that?" I make my way past him, empty plate in hand.

Suddenly I'm pulled down onto his lap and he begins to kiss over my face, causing me to giggle. I put the plate down on top of his, then wrap my arms around him, helping to stabilise myself. "Of course it's a date," he presses a kiss to my lips before pulling back, tucking my hair behind my ear. "I hate that I can't take you out in our local restaurants, so when I saw the new restaurant was open I booked us a table right away."

Resting my forehead on his I smile softly. "Maybe one day we will be able to. Maybe if the Vipers and Cobras work things out, we could be seen together."

"Bella," he sighs. "Not only did we agree not to talk about the Vipers and Cobras, but there is no way in hell that would ever happen. It wouldn't just be risking a war between your family and mine, it would cause trouble with other crews as well. The Cobras and the Vipers aren't meant to mix, you know this."

I sigh sadly and nod. "You're right. I just, I guess it was just wishful thinking."

Why does this have to be so hard? I love Jex and he loves me, yet we can't be together in public. Is this really how I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life? Hiding and sneaking around; only able to spend time with my boyfriend behind closed doors.

"It sucks baby girl, I know it does and I wish things were different. But I can't risk putting a target on your back," he rubs my cheek with his thumb.

...

Jex and I spent a little more time talking. I shared with him my concerns about having to sneak around for the rest of our lives. We attempted to come up with some kind of plan on how we could make it work, but so far nothing seems to fit or make any sense.

Around lunch time Jex had to leave to head to Viper HQ and catch up with the boys, to make sure they were all doing okay. Just like my family, none of the Vipers know that Jex and I are together. Not even Malcolm and Alyssa, which I feel horrible about as I consider them friends.

With Jex stepping out for the afternoon, I decided to head home and spend some time with my family.

Once I arrive home, I enter the house and find Abel sitting on the living room floor. His eyes red and puffy, staring off into space.