[28] Rat

Bella's POV:

I arrive home to find more cars in the driveway than usual. It looks like the cobra family is here for dinner tonight, as well as my family.

I exit the taxi quickly and sneak around the back, not wanting to be seen by my family in the same outfit I left the house in last night. I slowly make my way up the back steps and peek in the door, the coast is clear. I unlock the door and sneak in, headed right for the stairs.

I run up them quickly headed for my bedroom, when I hear a voice clear behind me. "The walk of shame again, huh sis?"

I turn and come face to face with Abel, who has a smirk on his face. "But again, I'm not ashamed."

"You must be, you've been seeing this guy of yours for like five months and not once have you so much as dropped his name."

"That's because you and dad will scare him off with your bad boy routine and I'm not into it." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night sis. Dinner is in ten, you might want to hurry if you're planning on acting as if you were here all day."

...

After a quick shower and changing into a more comfortable style of sweats, I pulled my hair up into a messy bun (on the top of my head), then head down stairs.

"I thought I could smell food," I smile toward my mother.

"Bella, I didn't even know you were home."

"I've been here all night," I lie.

"You didn't come down to breakfast this morning," Dad comments.

"Well it's a little hard to come to breakfast when you're throwing up," I take my seat at the table.

"Big night huh?" My uncle Enzo questions. "Damn I remember when we used to go on benders," he grins at my father.

"We really should have a boys night shouldn't we?"

"I'm in!" Marco, my father's cousin and Sophie's dad chimes in.

"Yeah I don't think so," my Aunty Mia shakes her head. "I'm way past the days of looking after you and cleaning up your vomit," she rests her hand on Enzo's shoulder.

"I agree," Mom glares at dad.

"So what's with the family dinner anyway?"

"The boys and I are having a meeting, so your mother was good enough to cook for all of us."

"What's the meeting about?"

"The Vipers." Abel answers, without hesitation.

"I thought you were done with them, since you blew up the club and all."

"We were, until someone took out one of trucks on its way to delivery. The driver was shot behind the wheel and all of the cocaine stolen."

"When did this happen?" I knit my brows together.

"Last night."

"What time?"

"Around ten. What's with all the questions sweetheart? You haven't been interested in our work for months."

"Yeah, not since she got herself a secret boyfriend," Abel teases.

"N-nothing I'm just trying to catch up on your lives," I lie. "Are you sure it was the Vipers though?"

"Do you know something we don't?" Dad raises a brow.

"No, but I just wouldn't imagine they'd be dumb enough to do that, after the girls burned down their club house."