[25] Moving out

It's been a month since Abel informed us he is going to be a father. Today he's moving into his own home, where he will be living with Lucy (the girl he got pregnant) and their baby once it arrives.

Lucy is currently three months pregnant and the timeline apparently matches the last time she and Abel had sex, and aligns with the baby's due date.

Whilst I don't really know her, she seems like a nice enough girl. She's rather pretty, with long dark hair and big brown eyes. She's always been very polite to mom, dad and myself upon our meetings. But I know that Abel will never love her, he doesn't look at her the way she looks at him.

I make my way up the stairs of his new house and down the hall towards the bedroom he is setting up for the baby. As I get closer I hear voices talking softly and I stop.

"Thank you for helping me put everything together," Abel says softly.

"You're welcome. You're going to make the best father Abel, just look at this room and all the thought you've put into it," Ruby replies.

"I wish things were different," he sighs sadly. "Things would be so different if it was you and I in this position."

"I guess we never got that chance. Maybe we were never meant to be. But you're right, I can't help but imagine us in this position."

"I wish it was us. I wish it was you carrying my child, you that I was forced to marry. Not that they'd need to force me."

"But it's not," Ruby reminds him. "I'm not the woman you're marrying and I'm not the woman carrying your child. We can never be," she says sadly. "I, I should go. This isn't helping either of us."

"Ruby wait."

Everything goes quiet and I make my way to the door, which is slightly open. It's then that I see Abel and Ruby in a passionate kiss.

"Abel we can't," she pulls back quickly. "This isn't fair to Lucy, it's not her fault she's pregnant."

"You're right, I'm sorry," he hangs his head.

"I love you, really I do. But I'll never play the role of the other woman."

"I love you, I always have," he finally admits.

"Goodbye Abel," she turns and makes her way toward the door.

Unable to hide anywhere I knock on the door, as if I've just gotten there and push it open. "Oh sorry," I act surprised to find them together.

"I was just helping Abel with the baby's room. But we're all done now," Ruby gives me a small smile, before heading out of the room.

"Are you okay?" I ask Abel.

"Yeah, I'm all good," he lies, shaking it off. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to help with the house, but I can see you're almost done."

"Yeah, everyone has been helping out this morning, so it's making things a lot easier."

"Have you spoken to Lucy about the whole marriage thing yet?"

"No, I'm putting it off for as long as I can. I know it's stupid, but if I act like it isn't happening, maybe I'll be okay with it for a second."

"I'm really sorry you're going through this Abel. You shouldn't have to marry someone you don't love."

"No, but it's the way in our world and I knew that before I got a girl pregnant. It all comes back on me," he sighs. "For once I wish I was the perfect child. For a second I wish I was you."