[58] Come back to me

One week has rolled into two and the longer we go without Bella, the more the doctors worry about her recovering. It's her body that has to make the choice, keep fighting, or shut down.

Over the last week her father has been to visit her every single day. He seems to like spending time with Ace as well, which is nice. Another surprise is Ruby. She's also been back to visit a lot since she said sorry. I don't know if she meant it or she's just doing it for the sake of Abel, but she seemed genuine enough.

This week we've all be taking turns sitting with Bella. Even though it's hard for me to not be the one sitting at her bed side all day, I understand I need to look after myself in order to be able to look after Ace and be at my best for him.

It's currently lunch time and I make my way into the hospital, Ace in his pram. I make my way down the hall and into Bella's room, where Amelia is sitting with her.

"Hey," she smiles up at me, as I enter the room.

"Hey, how has she been?"

"No change, but she's good," she nods. "They just came and washed her down, the blood is all out of her hair now, thank god. They did a check on her burns and they seem to be healing, so they're going to leave them uncovered for a couple of hours and see how it goes."

I make my way over, looking over Bella for a moment. She has burns on her shoulders collar bone and one on her arm. They do appear to be healing, the burns aren't too deep.

I lean down a press a kiss to her forehead, like every time I visit. "Hey beautiful, Ive been dying to see you all day, Ace as well," I say, as I pick him up out of the pram and sit him on the bed.

"Hello handsome man," Amelia gushes over him, tickling his stomach and he giggles loudly.

I smile down at them for a moment, remembering the times Bella would do that to him, recalling the sounds of her laughter and his filling the house. It's so empty without her.

"I'll leave you to it. Call me if you need anything," Millie stands to her feet.

"I will, thanks for sitting with her."

"Of course," she smiles, as she leaves the room.

Ace crawls to Bella and places his hand on her shoulder, very close to the burn.

"Ah uh, no little man," I tell him, as I move him away. "Mommy has an ouchie," I tell him.

He looks up at me and bursts into tears. Actual tears roll down his cheeks, as he cries loudly.

"Hey, you're not in trouble. Don't cry," I tell him, as if he understands. "You just have to be careful of mommy."

He continues to cry and I pick him up, rubbing his back. "I'm sorry buddy, daddy is mean isn't he?"

He snuggles into me, still crying.

"Ace," I hear her soft voice speak.

My eyes shoot up, looking toward Bella, whose eyes are fluttering open.

"Bella, you're awake," I stand up and make my way over to her bedside.

"Jex," she says softly. "W-where's Ace? He's crying."

"He's right here baby," I sit him down next to her.

"Hi baby," she whispers.

Ace looks at her and stops crying instantly, as he studies her face.

"Hi baby, it's Momma," she smiles weakly at him.

I pick up the remote attached to the bed and call the nurse to come in.