Case 1. An Innocent Murderer: Chapter 23. Competition and Respect

"How come you've lost weight?" Zhan Qitian put Zhan Zhao into the car, then sat in the driver's seat and fastened his seat belt, "What do you eat every day?"

Zhan Zhao fastened his seat belt and whispered, "Bento box."

Zhan Qitian lightly frowned, then started the car and drove towards the suburban area.

"Dad..." Zhan Zhao saw that Zhan Qitian drove with a serious expression and did not speak, so he asked, "What do you want to say to me? Why so mysterious?"

Zhan Qitian was silent for a moment and then said, "I want to show you something."

"What is it?" Zhan Zhao smiled and asked. He looked at his father's face and secretly praised-- So handsome.

When Zhan Qitian saw Zhan Zhao smiling, his little bit of anger dissipated as he said, "After we arrive, take your time to look at it."

"Oh..." Zhan Zhao nodded and glanced at Zhan Qitian from time to time. Zhan Zhao was relieved to find that his father's expression was not as ugly as before.

The car drove all the way to the suburban area. As the air became fresher, the low pressure in the car slowly dissipated. Zhan Qitian pointed towards the backseat and asked Zhan Zhao, "Have you eaten yet?"

Zhan Zhao looked back and saw a bento box on the back seat. Zhan Zhao narrowed his eyes...Octopus balls!

He reached for it, then opened the box and started eating. Zhan Zhao muttered to himself, "Hmph, my dad is still the best!"

As a result, Zhan Zhao's father successfully tamed his kitten with a box of octopus balls. They talked and laughed as they drove towards the suburban area.

After the car stopped, Zhan Qitian carried Zhan Zhao to the bedroom on the second floor, then placed him on the bed. Zhan Qitian took out a folder and gave it to Zhan Zhao, "Here."

Zhan Zhao took it, then opened it...He was stunned as he looked up at Zhan Qitian, "This...Paternity test..."

Zhan Qitian nodded, "I'm your real father. You can relax now."

Zhan Zhao blushed and whispered, "How did you know?"

"You didn't want to go home, and when you saw me, it looked like you were seeing a ghost." Zhan Qitian moved a stool and sat down, "How could I not know?"

Zhan Zhao held the document while feeling relieved and said, "Then the other day, why did Zhao Jue say..."

"You actually believe the things he says?" Zhan Qitian said helplessly, "He was just teasing you."

Zhan Zhao was a little confused and asked, "But...You also said..."

Zhan Qitian looked a little embarrassed and said, "...I was teasing you as well..."

=.= Zhan Zhao was speechless. If this was true, then Zhan Qitian was the most boring father in the world. But if this was a lie, then he would be the worst liar in the world!

"There's something else I want to show you." Zhan Qitian said. He took out a material wrapped in plastic bags from the desk drawer and gave it to Zhan Zhao, "This was kept from that year. It's some of Zhao Jue's research materials."

Zhan Zhao took it in surprise. Then, he started reading it with a serious expression.

Zhan Qitian went downstairs silently and took out the vegetables he bought earlier from the trunk of the car. Then, he went back to the kitchen and cooked a table full of Zhan Zhao's favorite dishes.

After he finished cooking, it was already late. Zhan Qitian went upstairs and opened the door. He saw Zhan Zhao sitting quietly on the bed in a daze, with the information in his hand.

"It's time to eat." Zhan Qitian reached out to carry Zhan Zhao, who looked up and asked him, "Is it because of this that he was locked up for 20 years?"

Zhan Qitian shook his head. Then, he reached out, rubbed Zhan Zhao's head and said, "What happened that year cannot be explained with only a few words. I just want you to know that some things are a taboo. Don't go touching them!"

Zhan Zhao put away the materials and asked, "Are these all of Zhao Jue's research materials?"

Zhan Qitian shook his head, "These were the only information that was kept. Zhao Jue burned the rest himself."

"That means..." Zhan Zhao looked at Zhan Qitian and said, "None of the other materials belong to Zhao Jue?!"

Zhan Qitian nodded helplessly, then shuffled closer to Zhan Zhao and said, "You silly child. In this world, the only one who can understand Zhao Jue's research material...Is you! He's only interested in you, so that's why he keeps bothering you all the time. He wants to play with you."