Poetic Justice ₪ VII

Chris

The next morning I was being hit in the face by Mijo, telling me it's time to get up. The sun beamed into my face as I turned my back the other way, I was feeling real bad when I woke up. I sat and ate breakfast with Mijo, even he could see something was bothering me. I gave him a bath and got him dressed for the day, I decided to drop him off at my moms house because I needed to get something done and I just didn't want him to come. No matter how disrespected I felt I shouldn't have called that girl a bitch, I was raised better than that so I had no choice but to apologize.

Once I got to her house I tried knocking on the door but as soon as my fist hit the door it opened, it was eerie but I decided to walk in anyway. I heard this loud noise coming from around the corner and it sounded like somebody was gasping for air, I reluctantly crept further to see what was going on and found Janaé sitting on the couch breathing through an oxygen machine.

"Are you okay?"

Janaé took off the oxygen mask and inhaled deeply, "How did you get in here?"

"I knocked on the door and it opened itself, I just stopped by to apologize about calling you a bitch."

Taking off the mask she inhaled deeply again "It's okay, thank you. But I shouldn't have talked to you like that either."

"Do you need anything? You sure you alright?"

"I'm fine," she said inhaling from the mask again. "Don't look at me like I'm getting high, it's only air." She smiled breathing back into the mask.

"This what you were in the rush to get home to?" I asked.

Janaé turned off the machine, then crossed her legs as she sat on the couch. "I'm preparing to undergo a heart transplant, nobody knows this about me not even Jasmine. I like to keep my life private."

"With something like this you should have your friends by your side, definitely your family."

"Are you going to stand there like an idiot or are you going to sit down?" She asked.

I sat down beside her and took the chance to get to know her, I stayed over there for hours talking. My apology had long been accepted, it was her story and conversation we had that made me stay.

"It was really big of you to come over and apologize to me, I must've been on your mind a lot last night."

"Don't get too happy over there, it's just that when I'm wrong and I know it. I apologize."

"I guess I should apologize too then."

"I'll wait for it," I said leaning back with a smile getting comfortable.

She laughed covering up her smile with her hand, "Alright, sorry."

"Nah, it needs to be better than that."

She laughed, "I'm sorry for the way I talked to you. I had no right to disrespect you after you kindly took me home."

I laughed, "That's more like it."

"You're a clown, I misjudged you."

"What do you mean?0

"Back in 09', what happen to you with you know who. I liked you but when it happen I just got turned off. Then I hear things about you from Jasmine, so I had my thoughts there. But I was wrong about you, you alright." Janaé smiled

"What does Jasmine say about me?"

"Nothing too bad, I can see why she likes you though."

I quickly changed the subject, "So when do you go for your surgery?"

"Two weeks," she said looking down.

"Your family coming to be with you at least right?"

She looked down at her manicured hands, "No. I don't get along too good with my family that's, why I moved out here. It's a shame when your own mother and father don't want to donate their hearts to their own daughter, that's not where our problems stem from though. It's much deeper than that. But still they could've at least gave me the mind state of knowing that they would. Wouldn't you do the same for your son?"

I didn't say yes right away like I should've "Yeah."

"Would you even do it for your girlfriend?"

"Of course."

"Exactly, family should be there for one another. But that doesn't happen in my case.

"Did you meet the person whose donating their heart to you?"

"I spoke to him over the phone but I don't want to see him face to face, I still have to live on with the fact that I'm living with someone else's life. That's if I live."

"Why wouldn't you live, you're going to make it through."

Janaé looked away getting tear eyed then looked back at me, "When I was 10 I had this golden brown hamster, I took him every where with me. Every year for show and tell he was right by my side and everyone loved him, his name was Chuckie because he was shy like the baby from Rugrats. But one day I noticed something was strange about him so we took him to the vet. Turns out he had a heart condition too a month later he died . . . Am I going to die too?" Janaé cried.

I became the shoulder to lean on as I held her in my arms. "No, stop it you're not going to die anytime soon. You are going to be fine do you hear me? Look at me, you'll be okay I'll even come with you so you don't have to wake up alone afterwards. Don't cry, I don't mind being there for you."

Brielle

"Where Mijo? My dad asked as I walked into my parents house.

"He's with Chris."

"What happen?" My mom questioned popping out the kitchen.

"Nothing happen, why can't I just come over to see you guys?" I smiled.

"Cause we know you better than that ." Dad said kissing me hello on the cheek.

"No, I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"You got a bit of a glow about you, you came to tell us you're pregnant? I'm telling you Brielle, you better not bring another child into this world unless that asshole puts a ring on your finger!"

I laughed, "I'm not pregnant and don't talk about him like that. You never even took the time to get to know him. Why does something have to happen now for me to smile?"

"Ever since you been messing around with him you come around us only tell us some shit, whether it be good or bad mostly bad."

"That's not true daddy, why don't you like him?"

"Baby, I'm a man. I know what's going to happen to you, I can already see it. I swear if he does something bad to you I'm going to kill him, I'm not kidding either."

"Nice to know daddy."

"How have you been?"

"Great," I said nonchalantly.

"Brielle I'm not trying to upset you, I'm just being your father. It's my job to set you straight."

I smiled. "I know daddy, but I'm good. If I need you for something like that I will call you. I just came to share this beautiful smile with you and tell you that I love you but could you give him a chance for me?"

He sighed. "Only for you I will, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be watching him."

I hugged him as we both got into watching college football, I tried to call Chris but I got no answer. I'm sure his lazy ass is sleeping by now anyway or putting Mijo to bed, they're alright.