dark sides.

"virgil!"

virgil whipped around and saw roman, he seemed angry. virgil said nothing as roman walked closer to him. "hey, what is going on with patton?!" he asked, raising his voice slightly. virgil blinked in confusion and roman sighed. "he is in there panicking! and you're just sitting there? it's obviously your fault."

virgil saw a glint of something in roman's eyes. what it was? he couldn't quite put his finger on it. virgil bit his lip, it couldn't have been his fault, right? maybe this was just some cruel joke. it had to be. virgil walked past roman and went into the living room from the patio. sure enough, patton was on the floor, struggling to breathe. tears stained his face and virgil felt a pang of guilt in his chest.

he knew if he caused this he had to get away. it had to have been his fault. he gulped loudly catching logan's attention. "virgil! thank god."

patton looked over and tried to smile. "no.." virgil muttered. "no!" tears filled his vision and he ran deeper into the mind palace. "virgil! wait!"

virgil ignored their calls and ran deeper, slowly falling into a panic attack himself. he kept running until his lungs wouldn't allow it. eventually he collapsed into a crying and wheezing mess.

virgil felt he might die if he doesn't get oxygen in his lungs soon. suddenly he felt familiar arms wrap around him. "shhhh" they purred and virgil felt himself calm down. his vision eventually became clear and felt the mysterious person step back.

he looked up only to see patton, logan, and roman looking at him. no words were shared between them. eventually the three turned around and walked away.

virgil wasn't upset. he understood. patton had a panic attack because of him, he wouldn't talk to him either. groggily, virgil got up and walked to his room

days passed and no one really said anything to virgil. that was a little unusual. although they knew he didn't like to be bothered they always would try to talk to him.

another day passed and now he was treated like he was before he ducked out. was his mistake that bad? he didn't think so. it was just a little mistake. right?

virgil shook his head and walked into the living room to get to the kitchen. that's when it hit. they had a movie night without him. something got stuck in his throat. he tried to breathe but only a small noise of a choked sob came out.

the three turned around and patton immediately got up, "virge.."

"no. i get it." he backed up. "i'm the bad guy, yet again."

"that's not-"

"was i ever one of you? or was it all just some malicious joke." virgil shook his head. "just. leave me alone." virgil turned and ran down the hallway like the other day. but this time, he had a destination.

he heard footsteps behind him but refused to look back. he raced to reach the door he needed. there was noise of him being called but his heartbeat drowned it out. the only thing he could focus on was that door.

after what it feels like hours he stopped in front of a all too familiar door. the three stopped not far after him. "virgil." patton said between breaths. "please-"