Chapter 2

Izzy's POV

I texted Michael last night briefly. He asked how class with Luke was and I may have sugar coated it a bit. I just didn't want him to think I was hard to get along with. I told him that I burned my hand pretty bad, but I left out the part where it was Luke's fault. With no homework to do, I went right to bed after changing out of my clothes and into sweats.

I was discouraged when I woke this morning, to say the least. I didn't want to go to any of my classes, knowing that people now knew me as the girl who burned the shit out of her hand on a god damn hot plate. It was humiliating. I tried my best to shrug it off, but there was no enthusiasm as I went through the motions of getting ready. Since I went to bed early, I was up early enough to get coffee and sit in the dining hall for a little while before my first class.

I had been sitting there for only 10 minutes when I saw Luke walk in. I looked back to my phone immediately, hoping that he wouldn't see me. But, I knew it was too late when he was taking the seat across from me.

"Take out your lab notebook." He said before I could even open my mouth.

"Burning my hand on a hot plate wasn't enough for you to stay the fuck away from me?" I fought back, ignoring his demand.

"Just take out your notebook, Izzy." He sighed, pulling a folded-up piece of paper out of his pocket. I did as he said this time, though.

"Get ready to write." He told me, not looking up from the piece of paper in his hand. "The weight after it was dried was 0.56 grams."

"You finished for me?" I asked quietly, surprised that he did me that favor. If he hadn't I would be redoing the experiment after classes today.

"Yeah, are you ready for the next weight?" He rushed. I nodded my head and continued to copy down everything he collected for me. Once he finished reading everything off, I quietly thanked him. Never thought I'd be doing that.

"No breakfast?" He asked, looking between me and my cup of coffee.

"Not that it's your business, but food makes me sick in the morning." I plainly stated, taking a sip of my coffee after.

"No wonder you're so scrawny." He snapped at me, making me furrow my eyebrows in disgust. Back to being a dick, I see.

"That's kinda like the pot calling the kettle black." I mumbled under my breath, not sure if I even wanted him to hear me.

"You haven't even seen me, sweetheart." He bit back. I just rolled my eyes at the cockiness of this guy.

"And I don't want to." I said without looking up from my phone.

"We'll see about that." And with that, he got up and walked out of the dining hall. He really almost had me fooled there, but the fact that every time he leaves my blood is boiling tells me that he isn't capable of playing nice.

Luke's POV

I sat down with the guys in the dining hall during our break. We got lucky this semester, all of us had the same free blocks every day. Before they could climb up my ass for what I did to Izzy yesterday, I figured I'd let them know I fixed it.

"Before you fucking say anything, I already made it up to her." I blurted out, annoyed that I even had to explain myself.

"What are you talking about?" Michael asked me, clearly clueless. Cal and Ash gave me the same confused looks. I guess maybe she didn't tell Michael. Maybe I spoke a little too soon.

"Izzy's hand?" I questioned, still not convinced they had no idea what I was talking about.

"Yeah she burned it. What the hell does that have to do with you?" He asked, confusion still clearly evident in his voice.