Chapter 40

Izzy's POV

I slept for almost 15 hours that night. I slept right through the only class I had on Thursday, which by the grace of fucking god was cancelled today for some reason. The first thing I did when I woke up was check my phone, and the cancellation email was the first notification. I don't think I'd ever been so lucky in my life.

When I tried to remember what happened last night it just turned into a big fuzzy blur. Everything was clear until I got into my room, and all I remember after was that Luke came in and helped me. All the specific details were lost down a rabbit hole. It was almost 5 in the afternoon, and when I tried to get out of bed I felt weak. As much as I didn't want to, I needed food before I passed out.

I quickly threw different clothes on and found my phone on some random place on the floor. My key card was placed neatly on my nightstand, so I slid it into my pocket and went slowly to the elevator. It took every last bit of energy I had to get to the dining hall, and it was nearly dinner time when I walked in. I piled as much as I could onto my plate, just wanting to hurry up and sit down.

I rushed over to an empty table, but the faster I moved the more light headed I felt. I had passed out before, and it wasn't fun. I felt my vision start to go fuzzy around the edges right when I sat down, and thankfully I regained all my bearings before toppling over. I scarfed down whatever I could fit, not wanting to make myself nauseous on top of everything else. My phone started vibrating the second I put the fork down, and I looked to that Luke was calling me.

"Hello?" I answered quietly.

"Where are you?" He cut right to the point, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"The dining hall, why?" I sighed, this talking thing really not helping how horrible I felt.

"I'm on my way." That was all he said before the line went dead. Confused would be an understatement. But a few minutes later Luke came rushing in and sat right across from me. I just looked at him, waiting for the reason he ran over here so fast.

"I just wanted to make sure you weren't dead." He said, stealing a French fry off of my plate.

"Thank you...?" It came out as more of a question than a statement, but he didn't seem to notice.

"What time did you wake up?" He asked, stealing yet another fry from me. It wasn't like I was planning on eating the rest, it was just weird seeing him so cozy with me.

"A half hour ago." I picked up a fry for myself, the sight of him enjoying them making me want another.

"Doesn't surprise me." He chuckled. I still couldn't really remember everything, and he was making me feel like I was drunk off my ass and blacked out.

"I don't remember anything after you came in. Other than us laying on the floor." I told him, hoping he could fill in the blanks.

"Izz, you took like 8 of those pills. You couldn't even stand." The small smile that had been on his face from when I told him I just woke up was now completely gone. "I've never seen someone break down like that, when you were on the floor." It was already enough to process the fact that I could have easily killed myself last night, but Luke being nice to me again was fucking with me more.

"Well, thank you for helping. I'm gonna go if you want the rest of the fries." I said, standing up and slipping my phone in my pocket.

"Nah, I'll walk back with you." Luke went to stand with me, but I blurted out the first thing that came to mind without thinking.

"No!" I struggled to find anything more to say. "It's fine." I mentally facepalmed myself for only being able to come up with 'it's fine'.

"I'm going back to my room anyw-"